Chapter 66

The final glass had been dropped and shattered, the final guest — a very drunk Arthur — been shepherded out the door, and it was just Tommy and I in our house

Or so we thought, until the letterbox popped open in the front door.

"Remember, Tom," Arthur called through, slurring his words. "Remember what I told ya. About the wedding night. If she's—"

He was yanked back, presumably by John, and his words became unintelligible as his voice faded into the car. I let out a small laugh, and Tommy smiled in spite of himself, shaking his head.

"I wonder what he'd been about to say," I told Tommy.

"Don't know how I'll get through the rest of the night without his advice," he said, lifting me by the thighs and carrying me to the dining table.

"We'll have to tell him it was terrible," I whispered, as Tommy kissed me long and slow, stood between my legs as I sat on the edge of the table.

He chuckled against my lips. "We'll invite him to stay and watch next time, eh? Can give us some pointers in real-time."

I let out a breathy laugh. "He'd be so embarrassed."

His hands pushed my dress up my thighs, palms wide.

"I do like these," he murmured, tugging on my stockings where they attached to the belt. "Might have to wear them more often."

"Blame Ada," I whispered. "She picked out everything."

"I'll have to send her flowers." His arms wrapped around my back to unbutton my dress.

He lifted me slightly to tug the fabric free, letting it all drop in a flutter to the clean wooden floors.

"Won't be able to do that when we get a dog," he said, kissing me again.

"We're getting a dog?" I asked.

"I thought we might." His eyes shone. "It's what people do when they get married, isn't it?"

My stomach clenched again. Little did he know we'd be having a far bigger commitment than a dog. I bit down on my lip to keep from crying — I realised now, a side effect from all the hormones. He was so happy, so open and free, like I'd never seen him before. I couldn't bear it if the news changed him. Turned him angry and cold again.

"Sweetheart, please tell me what's going through your head," he said, caressing my cheek. "Can't stand to see you like this."

"In the morning," I promised, wrapping my fingers in the fabric of his shirt. "I don't want anything changing tonight."

"You're worrying me."

"Don't be worried." I slowly unbuttoned his shirt. "We're together. Mr and Mrs Shelby. We finally made it." I pulled it free. "Now, do I have to get Arthur back here to tell you what to do?"