Tommy pov 3 - why'd you ask my brother

Tommy's arms sent jolts all the way to his abdomen, from where he held Kimber at the balcony. She laughed once more, lit up as she watched the horses race. Her hair whipped at his face and it smelt like vanilla and light perfume. He inhaled softly, closing his eyes. Fuck her father for never letting her be happy.

Then the horse went down.

And of course, Kimber decided to take off and take care of it herself.

Tommy sighed, pressing a hand to his forehead. "How much has she had to fucking drink?" He asked Arthur.

Arthur turned bashful, scratching at his moustache. "Well you see, Tom, we was just celebrating and having a laugh and that, and things progressed, and I thought maybe—"

"We played a drinking game," John said, sipping yet another whiskey. His eyes glimmered with mischief. "You'd be proud of your girl, Tom. She knocked them back without a flinch."

Tommy raised his eyebrows. "A drinking game?" He repeated.

"Just having a laugh," Arthur mumbled.

Tommy stared between his two brothers. Clearly, judging by the grin on John's face and the frown on Arthur's, there was something more amusing they weren't telling him. I'm never leaving her alone with them again, Tommy thought darkly.

"We asked questions," Arthur continued under Tommy's stern gaze. "She asked questions..."

"Yeah?" Tommy said. "Like what?"

John snorted into his drink. Tommy grasped his brother by the collar, making it clear he wasn't fucking around.

He knew it was wrong to be lying to Kimber. He hated himself every second of every day for it. He needed to tell her about the deal with the Chief Inspector, about her father. It had been risky enough bringing her to Dorset.

But she was just beginning to soften around him. She didn't look at him like she hated him anymore. She still spoke like it most of the time, but something had shifted between them. She was willing to marry him, for fuck's sake. Even if it was only to fuck him over in the end. And whatever it was between them, it was a better high than any fucking opium in all the world.

If he lost that, if he lost her, because his stupid brothers had let something fucking slip...

"She only asked if you still fucked prostitutes!" John said, his drink sloshing everywhere beneath Tommy's grasp. "It was just a bit of fun, Tom!"

He could breathe again. He released John, smoothing down the creases he'd left on his brother's shirt by way of apology.

Then, the words sank in, and his brow drew together in confusion. "Why would she ask that?"

John shrugged. "She also told us you didn't fuck because you were too tired from the drive. Which means you might get lucky tonight, eh Tommy?" He clapped his brother round the shoulders.

Tommy tried to ignore the way his mind buzzed at the words. He couldn't think about that right now.

"Where the fuck did she go?" Tommy asked, eyes scanning the crowd below them.

"Jockey's tent," Arthur said, locating her through a pair of binoculars.

Jesus Christ. Tommy took off after her, dreading to think what she'd had to deal with.