Motorcycle Stranger

April 1ThursdayYear 1

April 1
Thursday
Year 1

Today's the first of April - Cherry Blossom month. My heart grows excited the nearer we are to the festivals. In just a week, I'll be attending with Taehyung and others.

It's amazing how much has changed in the last month.

My cousins have kept contact with me, even including me in a group text with them. They don't say too much, but I can feel the walls coming down between us.

I wonder if Taehyung's friends will also come? I know that he mentioned that they would, but I'm unsure if they accepted the invitation. This would be a great event to grow closer with them too.

Lost in my thoughts, I don't realize the rain has started up again until a drop falls on my nose.

It doesn't take long for downpour. I pull my umbrella from the side of my backpack pocket, and right as I open it up, a noise from behind me startles me.

It's a motorcycle drawing close, the person on it screaming to watch out for him.

With a yelp, I drop my umbrella and stumble back, my palm hitting the brick wall behind me.

My eyes are on the motorcycle zooming past, the driver placing their leg on the ground as they stop.

With a muffled groan, he throws his head back before taking his helmet off and looking my way. "You alright?"

I nod and bend down to pick up my umbrella from the ground.

He grins. "Good. Wouldn't know what to do with myself if I caused something."

I nervously drop my eyes down.

"God, the traction sucks.." he mutters to himself, looking at the road ahead.

It dawns on me that he is just sitting out on the rain.

"O-oh." I breathe, hurrying over and holding my umbrella over him. "Do you... not have one?"

He raises an eyebrow and turns more my way, the droplets on the tips of his hair flying my way.

"Don't I look cooler this way?" He slyly grins while keeping eye contact.

Hmm?

"Kidding. There wasn't one to be found at my house."

His eyes fall onto my wrist and he points to it. "You're bleeding."

I'm bleeding? I look to see blood slowly traveling down from my palm. Oh! It must've been from when I stumbled back.

The guy reaches toward his leg, unzipping a pocket to pull out a band-aid.

"I carry these because I scrape my ankle against the bike stupidly."

I stay still and watch as he places the bandaid onto my palm.

"That should do it, don't you think?"

I look at the Pororo band aid now resting on my palm. How cute!

He chuckles, one revealing his bunny teeth. I think about how unique they are.

"You don't talk much, do you?" He asks me.

I turn red. "S-sorry!"

He shakes his head. "It's cool. I talk too much. By the way, I don't need the umbrella."

"Are you sure?" I ask. I know he has a helmet at least, but still...

He pushes it closer my way. "Then what would you use?"

"I'm...close by."

He fixes his gloves. "Are you going to the college down the road?"

I nod, still holding the umbrella over us, despite him pushing it more my way.

He beams. "Want a ride?"

I eye the motorcycle with round eyes. Mother would kill me. Father always tried to take me on his but she wouldn't let him.

I duck my head down. "P-pass."

He smiles with his eyes. "Got it. But something tells me that you'll accept next time."

Next time?

"See you around," he salutes me with two fingers before throwing his helmet back over his head.

I hold the umbrella closer to me and give him space. He signals for me to walk first and I thank him before heading to school.

When he zooms past, I don't shut my eyes but view his back as he rides down the street.

It's rare for anyone to travel by a motorcycle, so it makes it easier for me to connect the sounds of the night to him.

I hope that he makes it safely to his destination.

Too bad I couldn't get his name.