The invitation

May 4ThursdayYear 1

May 4
Thursday
Year 1

As I squat in front of the vending machine, I think about how Taehyung hadn't asked me anything during class. We worked on our end-of-course portfolio as usual.

Had I made up the idea or was his question small? Maybe it was for the best that he didn't ask me anything - it would have been too awkward.

My phone vibrates as my drink appears for me to grab. I grab it quickly before checking my phone.

Taehyung: Are you still on campus?

My heart pounds against my chest as I reply that I am.

Taehyung: Good! Meet me in the student lounge?

Texting, "I'll be there!", I walk down the hallway to keep my promise.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, not wanting to be so flushed as always.

So he didn't forget...

"Oops!" A cute voice startles me, and I drop my drink.

I look up to see a girl with an alluring presence in front of me, apologizing profusely. Her eyes were striking and expressive, yet gentle and graceful. Set above her high cheekbones on her symmetrical face, I had to blink several times to confirm she was real.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see you there." She bends down to pick up my drink before placing it in my hands. I can tell by her gentle and sincere demeanor that she means it.

"N-no, I'm..." I attempt to tell her it's entirely my fault for walking around with my eyes closed.

I look down and notice the school information pamphlet in her hands. Is she enrolling here?

Her friends caught up to her, placing their hand on her thin shoulder. "Cherry! Are you okay? You won't believe who we just saw!"

She smiles at them quickly before turning back to me, her eyes sparkling. "I'm sorry, again."

With a gentle shake of our hands, she leaves with them.

Stunned, I place my hands on my cheeks as I walk in the direction they came from. She takes good care of her skin. I mentally note to do a face mask tonight.

I enter the student lounge, my heart racing. I can hear the conversations and laughter of the other students, and memories of my first day flood back. I was so intimidated then, never thinking I'd meet a friend here.

A familiar laugh reaches my ear and I turn to find Taehyung. As always, he's with another group of people, reminding me that he's a true social butterfly. There's music playing and someone's teaching him the dance. He giggles as he follows.

I smile inwardly, remembering him dancing to IU before. He can dance, but he's modest about it. Too nervous to walk over and interrupt, I text him that I'm here and sit at a table against a wall to enjoy my drink.

I struggle with getting it open.

"Seolli!"

I look up and see him approaching, but he waves me to meet him halfway.

Smiling, I grab my drink and walk closer. He takes the drink out of my hands and opens it, handing it back with a chuckle.

"Thank you!" Before I drink, I extend it to him. "You must be thirsty."

He raises his eyebrows. "Did you see me just now?"

I nod and he puts his hand over his mouth. "How much did you see?"

"Not much," I reveal. Is he worried I saw too much?

"I'm embarrassed." He clears his throat.In a quiet compliment, I assure him that he's a good dancer.

A grin spreads across his face as he takes a sip before returning the bottle.

When I realize we're about to share a drink, I freeze.

The bubbly feelings surface as I drink. Is it from the soda?

Taehyung's eyes soften. "Are you busy this weekend?"

I raise my eyebrows and lift my eyes up to him.

He places his hands in his pockets. "Nobody will be at my house. And... We could study for finals together."

I gulp nervously. "Will Jimin and -"

"No." Taehyung says firmly. "You. Just you."

My face tingles. His tone and directness leave no room for doubt. He's only going to be inviting me. It's an overwhelming feeling knowing that he hasn't invited any of his friends yet.

I nod. "I-I'll come over."

I think I see his face turn red, but he hides it. "I-I'll send you my address."

He quickly gets out his phone and sends me his address. My phone vibrates when received.

I can feel my heart racing as I look up into his eyes. He really is red.

"Bye, Seolli." He whispers with a smile.

"Bye, Taehyung."

With a gentle nod, he walks toward his next class.

Knowing that I'll be alone with him at his house this weekend fills me with a strange mix of emotions. 

Will I get to know him better?

Author's note;;

You guys have probably noticed that I also include "Year 1" in the date. That's because this story will follow probably about 3-4 years of their lives. Not every year will have this many chapters dedicated to it. Right now, we're approaching summer vacation! The story will pick up a lot after that.