Pink

Note: Because I suck at describing how they're sitting... they're at the library table, sitting perpendicular. Seolli is on the short end of the table, while Taehyung is next to her on the long end.

 Seolli is on the short end of the table, while Taehyung is next to her on the long end

May 10
Wednesday
Year 1

"What other classes are you taking?" I ask lowly, tilting my head so I can read the spine of the textbooks Taehyung has laid out at the library table.

Statistics

Mental Health & Diagnosis

General Sociology

He looks away from his notes for a second to catch me reading them. With a smile, he finishes writing.

Even though I've read all the titles, he tells me about each one. "Impressive for a first year, right?"

My face lights up, proud of him.

"I'm hoping to graduate early," he explains. "Then, hoping to work full time at the behavioral health hospital as a rehabilitation intern. Normally, you need bachelors, but they made an exception for me."

"That's really great, Taehyung!"

If they were willing to take him in early, Taehyung was a hard worker at the hospital. And if he planned to graduate early, it meant he was sure of what he wanted to do in his future. It was exciting to learn more about him.

He chuckles softly. "Thanks, Seolli."

"Can I ask what you're doing at the hospital right now?" I play with my fingers under the table, eager to hear his response.

He hesitates for a second, but exhales softly. "I help out at the front desk. Check-in incoming individuals in need of mental health support. I also guide them to become familiar with the facility and answer any questions they have about resources."

"I hope I make them as comfortable as possible..." He trails off, drifting into his thoughts while looking down at the table.

I lean closer, waiting for him to pick up his face. I want him to know I'm serious about what I'm about to say.

When he does, I look him straight in the eyes. "I know I'm not there, but I believe that you're making a difference. I can't... explain it exactly... but if you treat them like you treat me... they're happy you're there. You mean a lot to them, and it's showing. That's why the hospital wants you to stay after graduation."

Taehyung's round eyes lock with mine. I hold my breath, almost breaking away from their intensity.

He breaks eye contact and sinks his head down to his arms, his ears turning red. "Seolli?" He asks, muffled by his arms.

"H-hm?"

"Do you really think I'm a good person?"

"Mm-hm."

I feel the heat on my cheeks. He's the best person, I know. Why can't he see that about himself?

He lifts his head up slowly, his cheeks pink as well. "What did I do to deserve you?"

His words send my heart into a frenzy, and I know he means he's grateful for all the kind comments I make about him. But isn't that all thanks to him anyway?

"What about you? What are you studying for?" He reaches over and plays with ends of my hair.

"I- I haven't decided. Maybe health information systems... For now, I'm taking my general classes."

He sits up excitedly, "If you do health information systems... we could work together."

Work together? As in a few years down the road?

"I'd like that!" I blurt out.

"Me too. Gosh, me too."

"T-Tae-"

Before I can say something embarrassing, Taehyung cuts me off. "Oh! Before I forget, Karin told me to hand this to you."

He unzips his backpack and takes out a pink envelope, handing it over.

I smile and open it, reading her handwritten note asking if I wanted to come over to her house this Friday. Her phone number included.

I hold it close to my chest. She wants me over?

"I'm not invited, by the way. It's just you girls." He chuckles.

I beam.

Does this mean that I'm considered a close friend of hers?

Taehyung returns to playing with my hair.

"Have fun, Seolli."