Exchange

March 11ThursdayYear 1

March 11
Thursday
Year 1

This morning, Mom watched me with a smile on her face as I placed slices of cake in a container. 

I decided to bring mocha roll cake because it's not too sweet or bitter, a compliment to the chocolate covered pretzels.

"I'm glad you're getting close to someone, Seolli."

I looked at my mom to smile back.

Me too

Mr. Jung leans over the podium, earning my attention again. "Alright, how about we take our break here?"

The class breaks into chatter, some getting up to go wander the hall while others remain quietly in their seats.

Taehyung's drumming his fingers against the desk with his eyes closed and chin in palm. Is he secretly sleeping?

With a smile, I occupy myself by fixing up my notes where it's messy. 

Jiyoo causes me to look at her when she stands from her desk to stretch. 

We make eye contact, but she breaks it to look at Taehyung. 

"Hey! Let's go grab something from the cafe." She gently swats his arm from the row in front.

Jimin laughs when Taehyung shakes his head and opens his eyes. 

"Sorry," he closes his notebook and leans back in the chair. 

"You're seriously tired from last night? We were only out until midnight." Jimin tilts his head.

They were out so late on a school night?

Then again, we are in college...

Taehyung shrugs playfully, "Don't know what to tell you."

Jiyoo places her hands onto Jimins back, pushing him out of the aisle. "Come on, I've been craving taro all morning."

"Taehyung, you coming?" The guy next to him, Jin, asks.

He shakes his head and for some reason I'm nervous.

Was he staying because he offered to give me something? I wouldn't want to take time away from his friends.

"Seolli?"

I snap my head up, noticing that his friends were gone already.

He laughs softly, rubbing his neck. "I found some chocolate covered pretzels, but, well, white day is soon so..."

I tilt my head as he reaches for his bag, taking out carefully packaged chocolate. The treat bag is clear with a pattern of pink and white flowers, inside the pretzel rods were dipped in chocolate and topped with heart sprinkles.

How cute!

Is it really for me?

I lift my hands up and carefully take the bag, admiring how they look.

"Thank you..."

Taehyung nods with a grin.

I set the pretzel down while I unzip my backpack, taking out the container.

"U-um," I start.

He lifts his eyebrows up and looks at the container in my hands.

Pulling the lid open, I reveal the slices of mocha roll cake.

The heat rushes to my face, but I don't let the embarrassment stop me from talking to Taehyung. I want to build our friendship and constantly stumbling over my words wasn't going to get me anywhere.

"I also brought something to share." There's pauses between every word and my voice isn't loud, but I'm proud of myself.

Taehyung leans closer, resting his elbows on his legs as he holds out his hands and takes the container in them.

"Thank you," he holds my gaze and I feel my face heat up more.

But I'm happy that Taehyung appreciates it.

We're interrupted by the sound of someone slamming their hands on the desk. "Oooh what's this?!"

Taehyung and I pull away from each other so fast we knock our heads into each other.

Were we that close?

Turning in his chair, Taehyung looks at Jimin whose eyes bounce between us.

Almost like they have the same thought, they both lounge toward the treat bag.

My eyes widen and I protect the container from slipping off Taehyung's lap.

Taehyung wins the race against Jimin, his hand touching the bag first before Jimin's lands on top. Quickly, he snatches the pretzels and brings it to his chest.

Are the pretzels okay?

"Jimin, I told you-" Taehyung says through gritted teeth before handing me the pretzels and hovering over.

I fumble with both the container and the pretzels while staring at him.

Jimin laughs. "Dude give her some space? I'm not some hungry lion?"

Taehyung tilts his head and looks at me. I'm sure he can feel the heat from my face, if not he couldn't miss how red I am.

"Sorry, Seolli," He breathes before tilting back and covering his face with his hands.

Jimin smirks and takes the opportunity to whisper into my ear, "Glad to finally introduce myself to you, Seolli. I'm Jimin."

Taehyung stands up and grabs Jimin by the arm, pulling him toward the door. Jimin throws his head back and laughs.

I don't move at all, still trying to understand everything.

But then I find myself laughing too because —even if it was just for a moment — I felt what it was like to be in Taehyung's circle.