Love

April 18SundayYear 1

April 18
Sunday
Year 1

The doorbell rang when I was sitting at the kitchen island, retelling my mother all the events that happened yesterday.

"Hm? Is that your father?" My mother tells me as she continues cutting up a block of cheese.

When I open the door, I'm shocked to see Taehyung instead of my father. In his hands, he's holding his bag with a tiny puppy wagging it's tail happily.

He lets out a tiny laugh before looking my way, and when he tilts his head to get a good look at me, his eyebrows draw up.

My hand quickly goes up to my hair thrown into a messy bun and I blush at the fact I'm also in my lime green pajama set.

He leans into the house with a smile, dropping a shopping bag hooked on his arm. "Hi, Seolli."

"T-taehyung." I greet, holding my fingers.

"That's for your aunts. And this is Tannie." He buries his nose into the pomeranian's fur. "I wanted you to meet him."

I smile with excitement. "Thanks... Vivi and Sooah already left, but next time they visit I can..." I get distracted, reaching out my hand to pet Tannie. Compared to Jimin's dog, Tannie seems to be calmer and easier to approach.

Just like his owner.

I let out a small laugh and Taehyung gives me a curious look. I shake my head. "I'm nervous around dogs, but I feel safe with Tannie."

Tannie gently sniffs my fingers and I'm sad I don't have a treat for him to enjoy.

"He's like a stuffed animal." I whisper, gently petting him.

Taehyung bites his smile, a twinkle in his eyes.

"He's cute, right?"

I nod in agreement.

By the time my mom came to the door to check what was taking so long, Taehyung and I were seated at the front steps, watching Tannie run around the front lawn.

I hug my knees, but then clap when I see the fluffy dog roll around. Taehyung's leaning back on his palms, telling me how much he spoils him.

"A puppy!" My mom coos, making us turn her way. "Taehyung, it's lovely to see you over." My mom comments. He politely waves.

She lifts the bag by the door up to peak inside. "Oh, what's this?"

"I found some more candles. Please take them."

"They're for Aunt Hyesoo and Aunt Hyemin." I chime in before she keeps them all to herself.

She pouts. "I guess I can share. Tell your family, we're grateful for this gift."

Taehyung clears his throat and he makes an odd expression before he puts back the smile on his face. It was as if he was put off-guard or shocked. I couldn't understand why and rest my head on my knees as I look at him.

"I will."

My mom blows a kiss toward Tannie and calls him over, but with no luck she laughs and heads back into the house to continue cooking.

Taehyung opens his arms and calls Tannie over. Responding to him, he happily skips over and jumps into his arms.

"He loves you so much." I tell him even though I'm sure he knows.

Taehyung gently brushes his fur.

"Dogs love unconditionally..."

There it is again... that expression.

"You aren't hard to love..." I let my thought slip out.

Taehyung freezes and turns to look at me.

I crinkle my eyebrows, confused. Did I say something wrong?

"Hm?" He asks, innocently.

I lift my head up from my knees, hugging them tightly. "Y-you're easy to love. So I know Tannie loves you very much."

There's silence coming from Taehyung and I turn to look at him. Is he stunned? Has he not noticed? Taehyung attracts many people to him because of his gentle personality. He's a kind soul and I'm thankful that he become a close friend of mine. Without him around, would I have had such a fun experience so far?

Tannie slips free from his hands and I hold out my arms, wondering if he'd leap into them. He does and gives me a friendly bark as if saying he made it proudly.

"So warm~" I gush as I hug him tightly.

"And you?" Taehyung asks.

I turn my gaze toward him. Me?

"Do you love me?" he asks softly.

My lips part, and I can feel my cheeks turning pink. If it was Eunha asking me this question, I would have responded with an immediate yes and the biggest hug I could give. But it's hard for me to say that to a guy, even if he's a friend.

I play with Tannie on auto-pilot, trying to answer as quick as I can. Taehyung's had many girl and guy friends, he doesn't realize how this question can be embarrassing to answer for someone with barely any.

I don't want to feel different. And isn't it love? The kind he's asking about?

Gaining confidence, I nod my head.

"Mm... I do."

I peek over at him, but Taehyung had turned the other way.

It was quiet, but I heard a faint,

"Thank you."

__________________________

Author's note;;

What's this feeling~ How do you think Taehyung felt hearing that? My heart is pounding for those two. But are they really on the same page?