True

May 22 pt

May 22 pt. II
Sunday
Year 1

The door is thrown open the rest of the way.

"D-dad!" I gasp in complete shock.

He turns on the light, zoning on Taehyung once they come on.

Taehyung raises an eyebrow, studying his appearance. He looks a little confused, and it's probably because of the stark difference between us. My dad has a sleeve tattoo and multiple piercings, making him a little intimidating.

He places his palm on the ground firmly as if he was going to stand if my dad walked any closer.

My dad talks through clenched teeth, "Out."

"Let me- Let me explain!" I whisper, my anxiety through the roof.

Taehyung calls my name quietly.

I look at him and he lowers his eyes to the ground slowly.

Hanging his head, he stands up to face my father. "Ssir."

He's trying his best to keep his voice clear and steady, but I know my father could tell the truth with how Taehyung hung on the word. My father had experience after all.

My father's face hardens. "Do me a favor. Get your shit together. I don't want you near my daughter again, you understand me?"

I flinch at how my dad is speaking. This is a huge misunderstanding. He doesn't know an ounce of the truth about Taehyung's character. How he's the most respectful and empathetic person I've encountered... how I wouldn't have moved forward in life so much without his help... how I've never been happier...

I'm not sure why Taehyung was drinking tonight. I know that if I asked, he would be honest and that there would be a good reason!

I stand up slowly, my tears threatening to spill. When my dad looks at me, I mouth please stop.

I'm brushed aside, my dad returning to flare his eyes at Taehyung to start moving. Before Taehyung walks out, his fingers gently brush mine. He's trying to comfort me.

As soon as he heads into the hallway, my father is right behind him. The adrenaline causes me to chase after. 

By the time I reach the stairs, Taehyung's leaning against the door, my father scolding him. I hold my breathe never seeing Taehyung so cold--- so disconnected? 

I take a step forward, wanting to protect Taehyung, but my dad points a finger at me. "Seolli, don't move!"

Taehyung tilts his head, "Are you always like this?"

"Excuse me?"

"Are you like this with them? Cause if that's the case, it's better off that you rarely visit."

No, they're both misundestanding each other.

"Never step foot into this house again." My dad leans close to warn him.

"Why? This isn't your house. This is theirs. You can't just intrude into their life and make decisions for them." Taehyung's eyes darken.

The vein on my dad's neck pops out, his face red in anger. "I can if it's what's best for my daughter."

Taehyung laughs without humor. "And what exactly does that look like? Would you be happy with anyone at all? Would you prefer her to be lonely? Do you consider her feelings? What she wants?"

"You better shut that mouth up. You think I don't know your type? I can see right through you, no matter how hard you're trying to hide it."

"You don't know me."

My father sneers. "You talk the way you do because you lack a father at home. Not only is it obvious you're taking it out on me, your irresponsibility backs up that fact. You're an inexperienced drinker, an inexperienced smoker. Thinking floral cologne covers herbal cigarettes? Is your anxiety high? Are you mad at yourself? Is it because of your mom? Because she's not in the picture if you've come this far."

My blood runs cold, not wanting to hear anything else. "Dad!"

"Stop." Taehyung's voice breaks, no longer interested in hearing what he had to say either.

"You're putting on a real tough act, claiming that I don't know you. You think you can hide behind your appearance? I know your true self. I know it too well. So stop using my daughter for your pleasure. If anyone should reconsider her feelings, it's you."

Taehyung's face falls, and without another word, he yanks the door open before leaving as fast as he could.

My heart crumbles into a million pieces. 

When my father turns to glance up at me, I hope he sees how far past the line he's gone.

I take a deep breath, my breath shuddering. "Why? Why couldn't you talk to me about it first?"

I don't let him speak this time, my patience of being interrupted and brushed aside wearing thin. "...He's the only one that truly hears me."

Mom enters through the front door, and looks between my father and I. She panics. "What's going on?"

Wiping away the tears on my cheeks, I shake my head before running to my room.

My birthday was over.

Unfortunately, it was another thing I couldn't decide for myself.