Glue

April 13TuesdayYear 1

April 13
Tuesday
Year 1

I feel nervous going to school today.

Ever since Friday, I feel like I've been acting weird. Like I haven't been myself.

But what does being myself even mean?

Is it the 'me' around Taehyung? That's starting to not be afraid to talk and laugh so openly? Or is it the 'me' around everyone else? Where I'm quiet and reserved?

One thing is for sure, I can't ignore what Karie and Julia made me become aware of. My classmates view my quietness as ill-natured.

How can a personality be easily changed?

As I step out of my house, I catch Taehyung walking along the gate.

He looks up from the ground, his eyebrows raising when our eyes meet. "Seolli!"

As I open the gate and step out carefully, Taehyung hurries and aids in opening it all the way.

I'm taken back by his sudden proximity. "I-is everything okay?"

He searches my eyes and I blink uncontrollably.

"I was going to ask you that. You didn't respond to me all weekend. And you didn't answer my video call..."

Oh...

I didn't mean to ignore him.

It was hard to respond when I didn't feel like myself. But I ended up forgetting to respond altogether.

"Hey..." he calls for my attention. I hadn't even realize my eyes drifted, but it feels like it's hard to stare into his eyes again. It's like trying to stare right into the sun.

"You've been crying."

I accidentally hiccup, backing away from him a little. I didn't expect him to notice that at all.

"I-I'm sorry."

I'm sorry that I can't tell you why I'm acting so weird.

Taehyung frowns while thinking to himself before giving a shake of his head. "Do you want to talk about it? It doesn't have to be now, but it can be later. It doesn't even have to be everything, it can even just be a little. I just-"

I lift my eyebrow.

He whispers. "I just want to help if I can."

"Even if... it's...silly?"

"Even if you think it is. I won't think so."

I can't help but smile, feeling grateful. "Thank you, Taehyung. I was just losing confidence in myself that's all."

His eyes soften. "Confidence takes a lot of strength. And lately you've been doing such a good job so its understandable that you need to recharge. It isn't lost. We can build it up together."

Relief washes over me just by hearing those words.

I nod, believing him.

After watching my expression for a little longer, Taehyung finally smiles.

"We should probably make our way to class now," he chuckles.

Right!

I lead the way, the loneliness shrinking away as I felt Taehyung right beside me.

And for the rest of the day, Taehyung continued to stay right beside me, almost like glue.