Nightside

March 31WednesdayYear 1

March 31
Wednesday
Year 1

My phone goes off, waking me from the accidental nap I slipped into while studying.

At this time, my room is only illuminated by the soft, warm glow of the lamp on my desk.

It must be late... How late?

I pick up my phone to see it's 10 o'clock, but then I see the notification from Taehyung.

Surprised, I tap on the notification.

K.THNG

Are you awake?

I go to reply, but then I hear something from outside my window.

I catch the view of a small pebble fly up and hit the glass.

Could it be...?

I walk over and move aside my curtain, peering out the front yard. Thanks to the lamppost, I see someone on the sidewalk. By the tufts of wavy hair, I knew it was Taehyung.

I lean against the window frame and tilt my head. He walks closer and locks his fingers around the gate, tilting his head up to return a smile.

Judging by his clothes and bag, he must've been out somewhere. Maybe his friends were able to convince him to hang out with them.

I unlock my window before sliding it open.

"Hi, Taehyung."

He grins, greeting me back softly, "Hi, Seolli."

"Are you on your way home?" I ask him while enjoying the soft breeze brush against my face.

He bites his lip, "The opposite."

Hm? He just left his house at this hour?

He looks around as if thinking, the soft breeze brushing along his fringe as it exposes his forehead.

"Until now, I was having a bad day... Seeing you... cools down my emotions," He chuckles.

Closing his eyes, he leans back with his hands still locked onto the gate.

With a smile, I turn around and head out of my room. Passing by my mother's door, I tell her that I'll be stepping out for a second.

She looks up from folding the laundry with a warm smile.

Jogging down the stairs, I head for the door, making sure to slip on my shoes and throw on a light jacket.

Stepping out, I see Taehyung waiting patiently.

I walk over and stand right in front of him from the other side of the gate.

Reaching my hand up, I check to see his reaction. He bends his head down, giving me a nod of encouragement.

I gently pat his head, surprised by how silky his hair is. "I'm sorry today wasn't an easy one."

His eyes soften and he looks down at the ground. "It feels so silly now..."

I shake my head. "You could tell me you didn't find a match for your sock, and I'll understand. Maybe it was your favorite pair, maybe they were lucky, and maybe there wasn't anything special about them at all... Still, it's okay to be upset."

"Thanks, Seolli," he whispers.

I nod and pull my hand back down to my side. He picks up his eyes to look at me, and his face flushes.

He startles me when he looks away. "God, if this makes me happy, I can't imagine..."

I raise my eyebrows and he covers his face with each side of his jacket. "Nothing!"

Even though I don't understand, his actions are enough to make me feel content and helpful. I giggle, making Taehyung peek from his jacket.

"Seolli, do you want to go on a walk with me?" He asks, "I'll talk to your mom, of course, and make sure you return directly to her hands."

I smile. "Okay. Let me get her."

Opening the gate, I let Taehyung step inside before running up to get my mom, who happily came down to greet Taehyung.

I watched Taehyung politely ask my mother if he could take me out for a small walk around town, promising he'll walk along the brightly-lit streets and keep me on the inside of the sidewalk when around traffic.

My mother agreed, stating she couldn't trust anyone more than she did him.

With rosy cheeks, the two of us gave my mother a wave before heading out to enjoy a walk along the bridge to get to town (and back after enjoying a secret late night snack and some cherry blossoms fluttering along the breeze).

And as promised, Taehyung knocked on the door after we returned until my mother stood there to take me back into her home.

________________________________________

Author's Note;;

How sweeeet. Would you guys like to read their night out?

Oh, and this is how I picture Seolli's house, except it's flat on the ground with no stairs up the front. Also, with a black metal fence/gate along the front and sides.

 Also, with a black metal fence/gate along the front and sides

((Custom House Portrait by Richelle Flecke))