Partners

March 18ThursdayYear 1

March 18
Thursday
Year 1

I make my way to the classroom, stepping away from anyone that I could bump into. 

Even though I know I'm not sick, I still wore a mask to school for everyone's safety. 

I even arrived early to get a seat in the back of the class, so I could be in and out. 

Before I get to the door, I notice Taehyung waiting outside as he talks amongst his friends. There was Jiyoo, Jin, Karin, and Jimin, but also a few others.

I keep my eyes right on the door, a weird feeling flooding my body. I just didn't want him to think I'm always searching for him. 

Collapsing into my seat, I play with my bangs before taking out my things. As I reach for my notebook, I read the bold letters on the board.

P A R T N E R S
Please get into groups of 2.

Oh no.

I hug my stomach. I didn't know anyone else in the class. What if I'm the only one without a partner? Will I be called out in front of the class? Should I just leave then. 

Tears sting the corner of my eyes and I feel my face grow hot. I bring up my hands to my forehead to check if I'm warm again. Maybe I should go home. 

The sound of a bracelet hitting the desk startles me. 

I look up and see Taehyung crouched in front. "Seolli?" 

His eyes scan my face until recognition glosses over them. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I whisper, "Thank you."

He tilts his head and keeps his eyes trained on me.

"Sorry I didn't reach out to you on Tuesday."

I shake my head and wave my hands. "It's okay. I'm okay."

We're not friends after all.

You don't owe me anything.

"Mr. Kim will your butt have the pleasure of placing itself in a seat today?" Mr. Jung clears his throat as he pulls down the projector screen. 

All heads spin to look toward the back of the class and I close my eyes to try and hide myself. 

"I'm going to sit next to you today. Okay, Seolli?" Taehyung whispers gently before standing up and pulling the chair out next to me. 

"N-no, it's fine-" My voice barely comes out as I follow him.

Taehyung smiles and sits down, taking out his things. 

It's hard not to notice all the confused faces in the seats in front of me, a couple of frowning ones too. 

I feel sorry.

Mr. Jung discusses how we're going to focus on persuasive writing. The purpose of splitting off into partners is to write opposing viewpoints on the same topic.

I chew on my lip and play with my fingers, not helping but worry about what I was going to do.

A cool hand brushes against my forehead and my eyes widen, turning to look at Taehyung.

He pulls it away, but keeps it hovered near by. 

"Sorry, I should've asked, but..." Taehyung nips his bottom lip, knitting his eyebrows together in concern.

I'm making him worry about me too...

"Is it okay? I'm just checking."

I lower my eyes and nod.

Slowly, he places his hand over my forehead. I close my eyes and welcome how soft and cool to the touch it feels.

"Taehyung," Mr. Jung calls.

Taehyung snaps his hand away as if we were caught doing something we shouldn't have been.

"Who are you partnering with?"

Taehyung fixes himself in his chair before looking at me.

"Seolli."

I raise my eyebrows and sit completely still.

"Seolli's my partner."