Cupcake

May 16TuesdayYear 1

May 16
Tuesday
Year 1

"Ugh, this is so embarrassing! Can you guys not sit like that?" Karin crosses her arms defensively.

Jin, Taehyung, and Jimin stare at her in anticipation. The fact that they had been told to run directly here after the lecture meant something was about to happen, and they were almost scared to find out what it was. So they sat huddled closely on the bench.

When she huffs, she turns to Jiyoo and me for support.

Taehyung laughs and holds his arms out. "We're waiting for you."

When he turns his gaze towards me, I become more aware of my nervousness. I was tempted to look at him, but I was afraid of revealing how I truly felt.

I notice Jiyoo has become quiet while Karin banters with the guys. Her hair is sleeked back in a half updo, with a large white bow to tie it back. Her makeup is light with creamy pink shades, giving her a doll-like appearance. She's pretty as always, but maybe she wanted to make today extra special.

Curiously, I look at Karin. She's done her hair in tight buns with braided strands falling out. Both of them make me wish I had done more with mine. Instead, it falls limp. I try to fix my bangs slightly, but I'm not sure it makes me stand out.

Jiyoo takes a deep breath, and picks up the cupcake container. "Enough, Enough. We made you cupcakes. That's the surprise. That's it."

Their eyes light up, stuck on the container.

Jin gasps excitedly, his pupils dilated. "That's it? That's it? This is a blessing. You girls actually thought about us for once!"

Jiyoo elbows Karin. Karin clears her throat, her cheeks rosy. "I actually thought about you a lot."

Taehyung raises his eyebrows and glances at Jin, a grin growing on his face. He's caught on to Karin's intentions.

Jin looks confused.

Karin picks up her cupcake and places it in front of him. Eyes locked on his, she commands. "Eat it. Eat this specific one because I thought about you the entire time I made it! I made it look like my nails so the whole time you ate it, you could think about me too! More than usual. More than now."

Jin stares at the cupcake with his mouth open. "Karin..."

She stands away. "What!"

Getting up, he embraces her in a tight hug. "Thank you."

She's blushing more now and pulls away, bumping her fist against his chest. "Let me know how you feel too. 'Kay?"

My heart beats faster, touched by how Karin told Jin how she felt. Maybe not directly, but in the best way she could. I close my eyes and hope Jin understands how she feels.

"We..." Jiyoo starts, "Made each of you guys one too." She picks up hers and mine, placing it in front of Taehyung and Jimin. "This is mine... and this is Seolli's."

I clasp my hands tightly, keeping my eyes down.

Taehyung's smile widens. "Let's split them, so we can try them all."

My eyes are drawn to him, watching him attempt to get up in search of a plastic knife.

"Don't!" Jiyoo says, stopping him.

Taehyung looks at her and raises his eyebrows, but he doesn't move any more.

'These are special cupcakes.." Jiyoo's hand trembles. I bite my lip, understanding her need to express her feelings. Part of me wants to hold her hand and give her a reassuring squeeze. The other part of me waits for Taehyung's response.

Taehyung's smile falters, his eyes softening. I haven't come across this expression before, and it makes my stomach uneasy.

He opens his mouth to say something but decides not to. It looks like he's trying to process what Jiyoo has said, and he's having trouble finding the right words to respond. Did he understand what Jiyoo meant? I forget how to breathe.

It's Jimin's turn to stare at me and I blush, slightly uncomfortable. I should explain what his cupcake means to me, but my mouth has gone dry. I feel like I can't say anything. And I don't want to interrupt Jiyoo's moment. I take a deep breath and look away, my cheeks still burning with embarrassment. I can feel Jimin's gaze still on me, but I can't bring myself to look at him.

As Taehyung recomposes his face, he smiles. "Thank you, Jiyoo. I'll enjoy it."

The gentleness of his voice sends my heart to my stomach. Did it mean he accepted her feelings? Did it mean he liked her too? I gulp, my heart pounding.

I want to step away from the sight and collect my thoughts.

"I'm so happy everyone likes them." I whisper, not feeling like I said the words. Turning around, I wave my hand. "I'll get milk for everyone! It'll make it more enjoyable!"

Isn't that what I would say? If I felt normal?

But I don't.

I can't wipe Taehyung's smile or Jiyoo's bright eyes from my memory. My heart hurts and I'm scared of what I'm feeling. I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing. I need to figure it out.

I force myself to keep moving forward. With every step I take, the pain in my heartbreaks. I sit on a bench to take deep breaths and calm my racing heart. I can feel the tears at the corner of my eyes, but I shake them away.

It's not long until I hear footsteps. I feel dread as the person approaches. This is a person I am not ready to deal with, and I am scared. Breathing deeply, I look up.

But it's not Taehyung who followed me.

It's Jimin.