Mart

March 27SaturdayYear 1

March 27
Saturday
Year 1

It's exciting to have my aunts over.

Mom, Aunt Hyemin, and Aunt Hyesoo are filling the backyard with howls of laughter from sharing stories of their childhood. They almost forget about the meat grilling until I point it out.

I turn back to the soda in my hand as I sit around the table with my cousins. Vivi and Sooah are sitting right next to each other, mid-conversation.

Vivi's two years older, while Sooah and I are months apart. Despite that, they're closer because they grew up in the same town. They hung out a lot and experienced the same things, while I haven't. Makeup? Parties? Boys? What can I contribute to those conversations?

"Can you believe that? Hot as shit, and she cheated on him." Vivi adjusts her cropped sweater before reaching for her soda.

Sooah gasps, "Woooow. Well, you never know, maybe he pfff."

Vivi laughs in agreement. "Maybe."

I take an awkward sip.

Vivi clears her throat, turning to me. "So how's uni, Seolli?"

"O-oh, I just go to the college near my house. But it's great so far."

"Yeah? How are the boys here?" Vivi asks with a smirk, making Sooah slap her arm.

"Vivi."

"What?" She laughs. "Bet city boys are more fun than country boys."

I blush and grip onto my soda. "They're like any other boys, I think..."

"You think? What's the craziest time you've had with a boyfriend?" Vivi leans over.

None.

I bite my lip and avert my gaze, the blush on my cheeks scorching.

"Seolli!" My mom calls for me. "Can you run to the store and get us some a bag of charcoal?"

I quickly stand up and nod and meekly excusing myself from the conversation.

"Do you think she ever had a boyfriend?" I overhear Sooah ask Vivi as I head out.

I tell myself that I'm only bothered because I want to be closer to them and I want to share stories too.

Like our moms.

With a sigh, I walk into the store and filter through the aisles.

As I turn in one, I recognize the figure standing over the snacks.

"Taehyung?" I call out softly. He looked a little different.

He tilts his head up. Under the brim of his hat, I catch his familiar eyes behind glasses.