Hands

April 8ThursdayYear 1

April 8
Thursday
Year 1

"Hey, Seolli!" Jimin places his hands on the desk as he leans in closely.

I blink and lean away, waiting to see what he wanted to say.

"Guess what I found out. It's something that Taehyung would be happy about if you knew."

I crinkle my brows and tilt my head.

Taehyung wasn't here yet, but it's because I was here too early. Surprisingly, Jimin was also.

Jimin looks around before taking the seat next to me. "Taehyung recently learned how to palm read."

"He's... palm...reading?" Taehyung was interested in that? I keep learning new things about him.

Jimin swings about in his chair. "Mhm. Mhm. He wouldn't stop talking about it yesterday."

"Oh..." I guess you can find out all kinds of interesting stuff from people's palms. It would be a great conversation starter.

I turn my palm over and look at it. What can I learn from mine?

"So what I was thinking is that you let him read yours today!"

I hold my hand and nod. "S-sure."

"But you can't just ask him because he'll KNOW I told you. He's a little shy. So what I was thinking is that you just lean into him a little and turn over your palm. Like this..."

Jimin gently brushes his arm against mine before turning his palm up casually on the desk.

"Then he can glance down and just read it! He'll be so happy."

I blush and nod. Okay, I can do that.

Students trickle into the class. Among them is Karie and Julia who wave. "Hi, Seolli!"

I smile and wave before dropping my eyes down to my desk, feeling nervous, partly because of my new task.

"Oh, gotta go, but doitinthemiddleoflecture-"

"Jimin, what are you doing?" Taehyung's voice draws closer before he takes over Jimin's now empty spot.

Jimin shakes his head. "Jeez. Nothing. I had a question about the essay requirements. Mind your own business."

Taehyung clicks his tongue before sitting down beside me.

"Sorry. Good morning, Seolli." He smiles as he brushes his fringe out of his eyes. It's gotten so long so fast.

A smile spreads across my face. "Good morning, Taehyung."

"We're finally done with our paper after today, and then..." His eyes sparkle. "We have the festival to look forward to."

I gasp and nod. How could I forget?

Mr. Jung writes something on the board while everyone's coming in. Jin, Karin, and Jiyoo are the last ones, taking a seat beside Jimin.

I peak over at Jimin who gives me a wide grin and a thumbs up.

I smile and Taehyung lifts an eyebrow to question it. I shake my head politely so he doesn't worry about it.

Taehyung writes his notes in his notepad, resting his arm when he wasn't jotting things down. It makes things easier for me.

I shift in my chair and make the mistake of looking at him. He raises his eyebrow and turns to me again, waiting for me to say something.

I blush and shake my head. Oops.

He smiles and goes back to paying attention to the lecture.

This is harder than I thought it would be.

I rest my arm on the table and slowly slide it a bit closer... just a little closer.

Again, I make the mistake of glancing at Taehyung. He's already looking. 

Biting my bottom lip, I casually turn my palm over.

He looks over at my palm then at me with round eyes.

I look down because I feel like he figured me out.

"Seolli," he whispers in one breath.

I duck my head down, my fingers starting to curl in until Taehyung's hand slides over my own. 

I think he's just opening it up to read my palm better, but then he interlocks our fingers together. 

My mind goes blank.

"Oh my god." Jimin says from behind us, causing the class to glance over. People do a double take when they see what Jimin's looking at. 

I draw my hand back as if Taehyung's burns.

What is happening? What just happened? What's going on?

"Ji. Min." Taehyung says through clenched teeth. 

Mr. Jung leans over the podium and hushes the class. 

"Alright, everyone. Just a few seconds ago you were falling asleep and now you all look awake enough for a quiz.'

The class is muttering amongst themselves but I'm too focused on how hot I feel inside. 

Did Taehyung just hold my hand?

Taehyung crosses his arms before sinking his head in it. 

He doesn't lift it the entire class.