Thirty-Four

Auden buckled her seatbelt with shaky hands. She hadn't ridden on a plane in a while. The last time she'd flown was when she visited her parents six months ago. She wasn't in a commercial plane like last time either. Now that she was working with Jimin again he'd called in his private plane and she was sitting in a luxury seat with so much leg room she could stretch her legs completely out and not run into anything. 

Jimin was sitting across from her, watching her reaction to the luxury plane. She was admiring the fancy lights, and the neat tray table between them, and the city view from outside the big window. 

"Are you nervous?" he asked, watching her with mild amusement as she took it all in.

"A little," she admitted, turning her gaze back on him. She couldn't help but be taken aback by Jimin in his airport fashion. He wore the softest looking baby blue turtleneck that hugged him in all the right places. A pair of sleek tan pants and ankle boots that Auden knew cost more than her apartment. Well, her old apartment she should say. 

She was leaving everything behind, Emmie, and her job at Slowave, and her LA dreams. But she was moving onto bigger and better things. 

"Me and Emmie left South Carolina to escape our lives there. Going back is always hard because it brings back so many memories." 

"Good and bad," Jimin assumed and she nodded. 

"I used to have an accent you know. We both did. We trained it our of ourselves so we wouldn't have any traces left of that town." 

Jimin's lip quirked. "So will the accent come back when we visit?" 

Auden flushed. "I don't know. I hope it won't." 

"A southern accent on you would be cute." 

She chuckled, almost sadly. "Bluffton is a very rich town. Everything there is so pristine and perfect. It's almost suffocating." 

Jimin frowned, and reached across their little table to grab her hand. 

"They are going to seem like they're being nice but everything is condescending and underneath everything they say has a sharper meaning," Auden continued. 

"If you don't want to go, I can tell the plane to leave for Seattle right now. We don't have to do this if you think it will be too difficult for you."  

She shook her head. "No, I need to say goodbye. They're still my parents." She felt comforted with his hand in hers. "Honestly, I'm glad you're coming with me. I don't think I could've done this alone." 

Just then the pilot came over the speaker and announced they were taking off. Nervous butterflies attacked Auden's stomach and she sat back in her seat with a heavy exhale. 

"I've got you, baby," he said gently, pressing a kiss across her knuckles. "I'm right here." 

She didn't know how she got lucky enough to have this angel sitting before her, comforting her through her demons. 

She looked out the window again, and watched the plane make its way down the runway. The plane readied for departure and she leaned back into her chair and closed her eyes, bracing for takeoff. 

***

Auden stepped out of the rental car, her shoes crunching on the gravel drive. She took in the landscape of her childhood home and felt a torrent of emotions flood through her. 

Auden had, had a nervous knot in her stomach the whole drive over to her parents house. They'd driven through the roads lined with spanish oak, and past the sparkling ocean that glimmered on the horizon. All of it bringing back memories the closer they neared her home. But now that she was standing directly in front of it, it was sort of surreal.