Forty-Four

The bubbles in the tub crackled like Rice Krispies around Auden and Jimin as he held her close to his chest. The warm water surrounded them and was like a healing balm to the chaotic day they'd had. 

Despite Jimin's shower they'd ended up in a hot bath together. Jimin couldn't sleep and neither could Auden. 

Jimin's small fingers clutched a bar of soap and he began gently cleaning her skin. Auden let out a soft sigh, her head falling back against his chest at the sensation. 

"You're the most beautiful when you're like this," he said quietly, kissing her neck softly. 

"Like this?" she questioned, searching for specifics. 

"Undone," he murmured. Jimin had his moments where his words sounded almost like poetry. Auden cherished every word and found herself keeping them tucked away in the back of her mind for later songs. 

"I feel completely at ease with you," she admitted. 

"Good," he said, and she shivered when his hand passed over her chest. 

"Jimin?" Auden said softly. In the dim light of the bathroom, with the smell of the peach hotel soap clinging to the air, and the soft fizzing of the bubbles around them, Auden found it easier to talk. 

Sort of like when her and Emmie would have sleep overs in high school, they'd spill all their secrets in the dark lying next to each other on the floor in a tangled heap of blankets. That's how this moment felt. Only one dim light was on in the bathroom, and when either of them moved their bodies cast shadows onto the tiled walls of the bathroom. She was at risk of spilling her entire soul to him in that moment. 

"Yes, baby?" he answered back, and she found his eyes were closed when she looked up at him from the place in his arms. He looked tired. The stress of the day finally catching up to him. 

"Have the others texted you?" 

"Hoseok has," he murmured quietly. 

"The rest?" Auden asked. 

"They texted in the group chat but Hoseok left me several voice messages. He's very worried." 

"He's good to you," Auden said thoughtfully and Jimin let out a soft sigh. 

"We're probably the closest. We roomed together for a very long time." 

"Have you responded?" 

"I briefly updated them," he said. Auden could hear the sadness in his voice, the underlying pain it must be causing him to know they were going on with the tour without him at the moment. 

"We will be back soon," she said gently. 

"I hate letting people down," he said, his eyes opening and Auden could clearly see the distress in his chocolatey depths. 

"You haven't let anyone down," Auden murmured, turning around to kiss him. She put a little force into it, needing him to believe her. When she pulled away his cheeks were flushed again. 

He ran the back of his hand across her cheek almost reverently, and then leaned his forehead against hers. 

"My whole life I've spent trying to give everything to Army. I want to make sure they are pleased with my efforts. With who I am. I've been trying for so long to prove myself. And when things like this happen, I feel like I've failed them somehow." 

"Jimin. You can't be there for Army if you don't take care of yourself first. They will understand if they truly love you." Auden kissed his cheek. "And I know they love you, so you don't need to worry about taking a little breather to be with your family. And you definitely don't need to feel like you've failed anyone."