|| Chapter XL ||

Word Count : 2420 words 

________________________________________________________________________________

( Location : The Battlefield )
( Third Person POV )

"No....."

Aizawa dropped to the ground, his eyes wide open, his legs shaking uncontrollably.

"No..... she r-remembered....."

Aizawa clutched his head in his hands, muttering inconceivable nonsense under his breath. Nothing made sense to the underground hero anymore. His whole world came crashing down, and tears flowed down his face.

"Fuck this shit....."

The hero stood up slowly, ignoring his duties of civilian evacuation. He walked ahead without a goal, towards the site. Every footstep echoed against the cold concrete. Tears continuously flowed down his face, and he stared up at the sky.

"Why am I sad..... this is what I wanted, right.....?"

Aizawa cursed the hypocrisy in his mind. One part urged him to accept the change and focus on the task ahead of him. But another part forced him to walk towards his beloved daughter one last time.

"Can I even call her my daughter anymore.....after everything I've done?"

Ultimately, emotion triumphed logic in the mind of the veteran underground hero, and he walked towards the collapsed building site. Each step felt like heavy lead, and he doubted the decision that he had made.

Was this the right thing to do?

Is it okay to blindly side along with the person he cared about most in this world?

Is it really alright to abandon all your morals and ethics, just to save one single person?

His thoughts were interrupted by a hand on his shoulder, and the hero looked around aimlessly.

Behind him stood Midnight, Snipe and Present Mic, all with a solemn look on their faces.

Without any words needed for confirmation, the quartet headed out into the site.

Eventually, they reached the destroyed battlefield, the soon-to-be graveyard for the innumerable lives about to be lost. Aizawa stared around aimlessly, hoping to catch sight of where his daughter —  no, where Yui might have gone to.

His eyes caught sight of the silver-haired girl, enjoying the warmth of the most dangerous villain on Earth. On (F/N)'s face was a rare smile, one that he had never seen before. Aizawa bit his lips.

This young man had had his entire life stripped away from him at the age of eight. He had lost both his parents, and had even lost his only family left, his sister, to the 'Heroes'. And today, he was finally here for revenge. With an elite team of villains behind him, he was ready to wipe out Heroes from the face of this Earth for good.

'And this is all that damn fucker Sarazaki's fault..... she's just chilling in the Association Building, I presume,' Aizawa thought darkly.

Out of the corner of her eye, Midnight spotted a trio moving towards them as well, their silhouettes approaching the experienced heroes. Midnight gawked at the unexpected visitors.