Chapter 114

Katniss

Gale. I attempt to say something, anything, but all that comes out of my mouth is a low gurgling noise. I can tell by the expression on Gale's face that he knows something isn't right. "Hey," he says softly, pulling me towards him hesitantly. I don't think. I just step forward, into his open arms. He is not Peeta, but he still gives me a sense of comfort. Something that I doubt will ever go away, no matter how many years go by.

"Let me take you back to my house. My mother is there," he says, keeping a strong arm around my shoulder. Without him here, I'm not quite sure what would've happened. But I can't go into his house. It would just make everything worse; seeing his family and the place he grew up. Because I grew up there too. When I wasn't at my home, school, or hunting in the woods, I was at Gale's. A lot of the time I'd bring Prim a long with me after we finished school for the day. It was better than having to go home and face our deranged mother again. Hazelle always took us in like we were her own. At that time, she had a baby and three young boys to look after on her own, but she never hesitated to give us the scraps of bread they'd managed to save from the week before and water.

The memories associated with Gale's old home are too hard to bear now. Especially now. I don't say anything at first. I just study Gale's face, holding onto his features as if this were the last time I would ever get to see him and I had to memorize his face to remember him. He's still Gale. He still has gray eyes and olive skin, like me. But somehow I feel as though I'm looking at a completely different person. Maybe, in a way, I am. This Gale is a husband and a father. I am a wife and a mother. 

Years ago, I might have thought that we would be married and living in The Seam by the fence in the Meadow. Maybe even with a child of our own. How did things get to be so different? I know I'm in love with Peeta. And I know Gale loves his wife. I don't regret anything, I just wonder. I wonder how different my life would have been with Gale. It's amazing how perfectly planned you can have something, but you have almost no control over what actually happens. Not here, anyway.

My thoughts feel jumbled up in my brain. I stutter on my words, but Gale understands. He knows what I've been through. And I know, to this day, that he's guilty. No matter what I say, or whatever he tells himself, he will never stop being guilty.

I shake my head. "No. No, I just need to get home. To Peeta," I mumble, keeping my eyes focused on the dull earth beneath my feet. I'm surprised that Gale doesn't shoot back with a sarcastic remark about Peeta. He just nods and we walk slowly towards the Victor's Village. Gale acts as a shield in between me and the other people milling around the square. I'm incredibly thankful that he's here, no matter our history.

We turn a corner into a back alley towards the Victor's Village and suddenly I feel like I can breath again. I pause and lean against a brick wall, running my fingertips over the cool stone. I shut my eyes and attempt to catch my breath. Gale doesn't say anything. He just waits patiently while I struggle to hold onto my sanity. I count to five again and I feel slightly better. We keep walking.

"You okay?" he asks, gently resting his hand on my back. I'm not used to him touching me. I'm not used to anyone touching me, besides Peeta. I nod and keep my eyes on the dirt beneath my feet. Gale takes his hand away and steps about a foot away from me.

I see Peeta in front of our house. The pain and the fear washes away in a flood of different emotions that I can't even place. He's watering the primroses that are planted in the garden beside our porch. He doesn't see us yet.

Gale stops about halfway to the house. I forget to thank him. Instead, I walk faster towards Peeta. He sees me, a look of confusion and worry plastered on his face. "What. . ."

I don't let him finish. I wrap my arms around his neck and take in his sweet scent. I shut my eyes and savor this moment. It's amazing how much Peeta can calm me down; how easily he can make me feel safe. We've turned slightly so I can see Gale, standing there still, wearing a hint of a smile on his face. I mouth the words thank you to him and reluctantly let go of Peeta.

He sees Gale now. He puts his arm in front of me and takes a step forward, unsure of what to do. I know that they will never like each other. But I know they won't fight anymore. Gale is married now. He doesn't love me. I am Peeta's, and he is mine; just like he and his wife.

"Peeta, Gale helped me. Without him, I'm not sure I would've made it home without. . ." I trail off. I don't want to talk about my flashbacks right now.

"Thank you, Gale," Peeta says quietly.

"I was just doing what anyone would have," he says. He's about to leave before turning over his shoulder and saying, "I'm glad she chose you. You're better for her. Better than I ever would have been." Neither of us get a chance to reply. Gale turns down the alley again without another word.

Peeta's warm fingers lace together with mine. I take a deep breath and rest my head on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. Gale's words ring in my head. You're better for her. Better than I ever would have been. And I know it's true. When I was with Gale, I didn't feel the same protection as I do when I'm with Peeta. It's a sense of security, peace, and safety. We all know Peeta is the one who gives me all of those things, and I have no reason to deny it. Not anymore. It was him from the start. It was always Peeta.

__________________________

So I hope you guys liked that chapter, besides the fact that it was shorter than normal. Anyways, be sure to vote and comment any feedback!! :)