Chapter 51

(This chapter is back to normal)

Katniss

I put on a green sweater with black pants. A stylist already came in and curled my dark hair. I have to attend the Tribute Parade today. I know it won't be that big of a deal for the tributes. They're from the Capitol, so they see crazy outfits all the time. But it's a huge deal for their sponsors.

"Katniss," I turn to see Peeta standing in the doorway. My lips part and I throw my arms around him. Even though I saw him a few days ago, it's been strange without him. He steps backwards, about to fall, but catches himself. Sometimes I completely forget about his prosthetic leg.

"Sorry," I say. He shakes his head and smiles.

"So how are your tributes?" he asks as we stroll down the hall.

"Angry."

"Mine too," he says.

"I hit one of them. . ." I mumble. He stops and stares at me but I keep walking, ignoring his stare. He must know that it's something I would do. 

He doesn't bring it up again. We walk into a huge room; a familiar room. Horses and chariots are everywhere. I think I even recognize the one I rode on. I turn my head to see a golden, detailed '12' on the front of it. It is my chariot. I walk over to it, biting my lip. It takes Peeta a second to realize that I've left his side.

I run my fingers through the horse's dark mane. I can almost feel myself wearing the outfit from Cinna. I turn, half-expecting to see Finnick walking up to me, sugar cube in hand.

"Want a sugar cube? They're supposed to be for the horses, but who cares? They've got years to eat sugar, whereas you and I. . .well, if we see something sweet, we better grab it quick."

I have to bite my lip to keep from crying again. Finnick shouldn't have died. I should have gone back to help him. Maybe if I did, he'd be here; injured badly, but here. It's too late now. Finnick will never come back.

"Are you thinking of him?" I just notice Peeta standing behind me. I nod and glance away.

"You look terrifying in that getup. What happened to the pretty little girl dresses?" Finnick's voice rings in my head. I remember it all. I remember scaring Peeta in the arena when he woke up one morning. I remember him talking to me in District 13. He gave me his rope. He helped me in the arena. He saved Peeta, but I couldn't save him. I couldn't save any of them. Not Rue, or Prim, or Cinna, or Finnick. The list just seems to keep going on and on, a never ending list of names.

"I'll see you later," I tell Peeta. He nods and walks towards his tributes. I spot Sapphire and Park standing by a chariot with their stylist. They are dressed like fish for District 4, but they aren't giant, ridiculous costumes. Sapphire has a long, flowing dress with a wrap made of fishing net. It's tinted somehow to make it look like shiny scales. She wears an aqua colored headpiece and woven brown shoes.

"Hello," she says.

"Hi."

"So we wave?" Park asks. He's dressed similarly to Sapphire, but instead of a dress, he has a suit.

"Yes. Smile and wave. Try your best to look happy and friendly," I say. They nod and climb up onto their chariot. That's where Finnick stood.

I turn away before I can let my mind think of it anymore. I find Red and Fox. They're District 5; power. They're dressed in blue outfits that light up. The legs go down to their knees, and the arms to their elbows. They both have crowns around they're heads. There are yellow dots connected with other dots on the crown and the clothes; a symbol of electricity. Their stylist brings them bright yellow capes and puts them around their shoulders. "Good luck," is all I tell them. They know what they have to do. All of them do. There isn't much else to say.

I turn to find Daisy and Caleb standing on their chariot already. Daisy's golden hair is twisted on top of her head, along with a twinkling headband. They both have a grey outfit on with sparkling gears sewn onto it. It's plain, and fairly boring. I feel bad because if I have to choose favorites, it'd be these two. Or Sapphire and Park. Most definitely not Fox and Red.

"Do you have any questions?" I ask.

"No. You explained everything well yesterday," Caleb says. I nod and turn away, walking towards the crowd. I'd never been able to watch one of these parades in person. I decide that I don't want to sit in the crowd, and instead watch it on a television where they showed the chariots instead. I don't want to be near people. 

District 1's chariot pulls into view. Peeta's tributes, that I can't remember the name of. They are dressed head to toe in multicolored feathers. I hate them, even though that's what my Mockingjay dress was made of. Maybe that factor makes me hate them more. Cinna was killed because he made that dress

The tribute parade ends quickly. It was boring. The outfits are the usual ones I watched every year for years. Not nearly as amazing as Cinna's. I walk back to my room, not saying another word to my tributes.