Chapter 105

Katniss

As soon as the magnificent silvery buildings seem to begin rising up out of the ground in the distance, I know we've reached the Capitol. "Peeta, what do you think they'll do?" I ask, barely achieving a whisper. He eyes me warily from across the train car, as if he's deciding whether or not it's okay for him to speak to me. Then, in a matter of seconds his expression washes away, being replaced by a look of an uncertainty and fear.

"I'm not sure," he says, his eyes trained on mine. I savour the moment that I spend with him, not knowing how long it will be until he shuts me out again. I want to apologize, for what I don't know. I feel like there is something I have to say to him, something to make both of us feel less guilty. But I can't manage to form the words in my mind, let alone speak them.

"Katniss! Peeta!" Effie sashays into the room, clapping her hands together. "We'll be arriving in just a few moments. Now, when we get there, there will be cameras." My ears perk up at her last words. Cameras? How did the Capitol people even know we'd be here? I feel a surge of anger towards Effie. By the look on her face, I know she's told people.

"Katniss, come. We must get you looking more. . ." she trails off, waving her delicate gloved hands in the air, but never finishing her sentence.

I follow Effie into the car next door, where I'm greeted by a cluster of Capitol people I don't recognize. I know these people aren't my regular prep team, and I can't help but wonder where my old crew is.

There is a tall woman with bright pink heels taller than the length of my forearm, a stubby man with a green gotee and matching hair that's slicked back with a shiny substance. The other woman has eyelashes with faux birds glued in them and permanant jewels that scatter her face. I cringe away at the tall woman's touch when she roughly pulls my hair away from my face. The man, who's name I learn is Abraxas, powders and lines my face with different assortments of make up.

"Why do I have to wear makeup for an appointment?" I say harshly when Effie moves back into the room.

"Because, dear, there will be cameras."

"Who exactly invited them, Effie? Because I can assure you that it wasnt me," I retort.

"Manners!" she chirps, pursing her lips and folding down her dress. "We can't have you sporting a black eye now can we? It would mean trouble for Peeta and you both!" I roll my eyes while Effie fans herself and exits the room once more.

"Finished!" Eudora, the shorter woman, who I decide to call bird woman says. When I see myself in the mirror, my breath gets caught in my throat. The girl--the woman--I see in the mirror is not me, Katniss Mellark. She has no bruises, no scars, no swelling. She is Katniss Everdeen; the girl who was on fire.

***

Peeta and I are standing behind Effie, waiting to be let off the train. I catch a quick glimpse out of the window a few feet away from us. People dressed in ridiculous outfits and wigs stand outside, chanting our names. Panic ensues my body and my breathing begins to be rugged and hoarse. Without thinking, my hand moves to Peeta's. He hesitates at first, pulling away slightly, but I don't let go. My eyes meet his, and he tightens his grasp. "It's alright," he whispers. Just the slightest gesture from him makes me feel ten times safer. 

The heavy door opens slowly and the chanting gets louder. My grip on Peeta tightens even more, if that's possible. I can't get my legs to move, so I just stand before the crowd, a blank expression on my face. I look to Peeta for reassurance. He takes a deep breath and nods unsurely. I follow Effie, desperately avoiding every hand that reaches out to touch us. Peeta puts a protective arm around me and we hurry into the building before us, heads down, mouths shut.