Chapter 9

Katniss

After Peeta and I jump into the water, I think I black out. Then, Peeta brings me out of the water and back to consciousness.

Peeta had just tried to kill me again. I try to avoid the topic but I can tell that's all Peeta is thinking about when we sit on a tiny beach by the stream. I'm thinking about why the fog showed up, and who sent it.

Someone set off those explosions and the fog. My mind drifts to the people in 12. The ones working, and building, and Haymitch and Gale.

"Peeta," my voice is high and scratchy. "We have to go back."

He nods in agreement and stands, brushing sand off of himself. I do the same and we slowly make our way up the cliff again, making sure all of the fog has evaporated.

"Hey, how's your hand?" I ask, trying to see his hand that touched the fog.

"Same as in the arena. The water helped," He mumbles. He's guilty. I can hear it in his voice. It isn't his fault though. He didn't try to bring on those episodes of violence.

We get back into 12. Things are lit up with flames all around us. There are no visible people. No one walking around. Just us.

Then I see the Victor's Village. In the last bombing, they left the Victor's Village alone. Now, all of the houses are ashes, or at least on fire. Including mine. The rest of the things that I had left of Prim, gone.

Peeta's house is completely destroyed. He kicks a rock and it rolls over to Haymitch's house. It isn't much different from Peeta's. I remember that he and Gale left. I bet they came here. A horrible feeling rises up in my stomach. Gale and Haymitch are dead. By the look of dread on his face, I guess it was sinking in for Peeta too.

We both stand, looking at the remains of his house. Haymitch, who survived a Quarter Quell and a war is dead. I had actually grown to like him.

And then there's Gale. I guess I should be somewhat happy that he is dead, after all the trouble he's caused. But my thoughts drift back to my old life with Gale. He was my best, and only friend. Besides Madge, but she died in the first bombing.

Haymitch and Gale, both gone. Never to walk on this Earth again. A piece of something falls down in front of us. I thought it was a piece of ash or debris at first. Peeta bends down to pick it up.

His expression changes from sad to afraid in a matter of seconds. Very afraid. His jaw drops and he stares at the paper for what feels like the longest time. "What does it say?" I ask.

He hands me the paper. I search his eyes for any sign of what it says. I'm afraid to read the words. I look down at the paper. It's just one word.

A vile taste fills my mouth. The scent of blood and roses seems to fill the air.

This paper says a word that I fear so much, yet it is so simple.

Snow

Well, hope you liked it. It was super short, but I'm working on it. I'll update again soon! Make sure to vote!