Chapter 32

Katniss

I am still shaken up from my nightmare. Peeta won't let go of my hand. I don't mind, although I think he feels guilty for leaving.

The hovercraft begins to slowly maneuver downwards. I look out the tiny window besides the bench Peeta and I are sitting on. The Capitol's buildings look brand new. It's as if the war never happened. Peeta refuses to look out the window. I think he's afraid that it will bring on a flashback.

We circle around a patch of trees and a field, getting ready to land there. I guess it isn't safe to land in the city, but really, this entire trip isn't safe. As we start getting even closer to the clearing below, another passenger aboard the hovercraft brings me into one of the rooms. Peeta is reluctant to let me go alone but he gives up, knowing I will only be a room away.

I somehow manage to put on two layers of clothing, a heavy black bulletproof vest, and shining armor. It resembles my Mockingjay outfit Cinna made, but it looks and feels even stronger. I pull on my regular boots and tie my hair into a braid. No makeup. No fake smiles. No fancy, glittery outfit. Thank god.

The hovercraft bounces and jolts when we hit the ground. I have to hang onto the wall in order to keep myself standing.

I walk cautiously back out to the main lobby area. Peeta is waiting for me, strapping on a bulletproof vest of his own. "Change of plans," Haymitch says, walking out of no where. "You and Peeta are going to make the speech at the Capitol."

That will risk putting Peeta in danger also. If he has a flashback up on stage he could hurt a lot of people. It'll give him a bad reputation, no doubt. They'd think he's insane; maybe even send him to jail or an insane asylum. "No," I simply state. Peeta looks at me as the person who gave me my clothes help him put on his own armor, identical to mine.

"Katniss is right. I can't go on. I could hurt people," Peeta says, as if reading my thoughts.

"Well, we're just crossing our fingers that that doesn't happen," Haymitch says, grabbing a bottle of alcohol. I'm not sure why it's on the hovercraft. Maybe he smuggled it on. "Look, you two are still the same star-crossed lovers to them. Show them that they can't destroy your love. That your still fighting."

Peeta and I glance eachother. I guess it won't be that difficult, considering the fact that we won't really have to act. I still don't feel very comfortable with showing my true self to them. I'll probably end up throwing in fake smiles and meaningless kisses. Peeta would understand that. He knows I don't trust people, especially not these Captiol people. Besides maybe my prep team. They're just so innocent and stupid. They remind me of homeless puppies that get adopted. By me.

The hovercraft's door opens and people pour out. Peeta and I stay back until everyone exits it. "Are you okay with this?" He asks. I really don't know what he means. I can't decide if he's talking about is going on stage and camera with his condition, or that the "star crossed lovers from District 12" are back. Honestly, I don't know if I'm alright with either. So I just nod and take Peeta's hand. I don't think he believes me.

The minute we step out, both of us have to shield our eyes from the bright sun. A camera is already set up, filming us. Good thing we are holding hands.

I don't smile, and neither does Peeta. We stare straight ahead, confident, like in the second Tribute Parade. I can almost see the flames on my outfit, hear the Capitol's anthem playing in the background. I know that those things aren't really here, but I get the familiar feeling anyway.

Peeta and I step off of the platform and onto the grass. It wets the soles my leather boots, an they turn a shade darker in a matter of seconds.

We stop a few feet in front of the camera, chins up, probably looking ruthless and strong. At least, I hope that's what we look like. Show them that they can't destroy your love. That your still fighting. Haymitch's voice echoes in my head. We are still fighting. We will always be fighting.