Chapter 46

Katniss

After I leave Peeta's, I silently slip back into my own room. Inside, a plain white sweater and black pants sit neatly folded on my bed. A pair of uncomfortable looking shoes are placed beside the clothes. I pull the outfit on and braid my dark hair.

"Katniss," Haymitch says, walking into the room. "We have to be on the hovercraft in a half-an-hour," I nod and look out the tiny window above Annie's old bed. 

"How did you do it?" I ask. Haymitch turns back towards me. 

"Drinking," he says, shrugging. "But I know the boy would hate you see you become like me."

So Haymitch realizes that he has a problem, but he doesn't quit. I guess it's too hard after a while. I know I can't, and won't, become like Haymitch. I can't. I have to tell myself that after these Games, Peeta and I can go back to 12 and live our lives in peace. But really, I am Katniss Everdeen--The Mockingjay. I don't think I can ever live in peace.

"See you later, sweetheart," Haymitch says, interrupting me from my thoughts. I nod and he walks out of my room, leaving me in silence.

***

My leg bobs up and down. The hovercraft is almost to the president's mansion.

"It'll be ok," Peeta whispers. I look over to him and nod. This hovercraft is the same one that took us to the arena. I'm sitting in the exact seat where they injected the tracker into my arm. But now I know that I'm not going to the wicked place that haunts my dreams every night. Well, not really. 

"Okay. We're landing," Plutarch announces. He stands and brushes something from his shirt that I can't see. I roll my shoulders back and stand. I feel the hovercraft jolt and bounce below me.

The door opens and we slowly make our way out. Peeta takes my hand and I hear Johanna sigh loudly behind us. Haymitch whistles at us. I roll my eyes and ignore both of them.

My heart drops at the sight in front of us. So many children stare at us, horrible, angry looks plastered on their faces. I know how they feel. I felt it when Prim was picked for the Hunger Games. I felt it when I volunteered. I felt it when they announced the Quarter Quell; trapped, helpless, afraid. 

The president stands on the stage before the children. I grip Peeta's hand so tightly I'm surprised he doesn't tell me to let go.

"Welcome victors!" President Tamer says in a cheerful voice. We walk onto the stage and an uneasy feeling in my stomach spreads, scanning these children's faces. This is what it felt and looked like to Haymitch all of these years. These poor kids, hoping, more than anything, that they won't be picked.

"Let's get started," Tamer says, waking over to two huge glass bowls, similar to the ones at the Reaping in 12. They're much bigger though. He puts his hand into one, the girls bowl I think. He reads the slip. "Daisy Poller." I look into the crowd, trying to find Daisy. A small girl with blonde hair steps forward. She instantly reminds me of Prim, even though she looks nothing like her. But I see Prim's innocence in her eyes. She stands on the stage, shooting us angry looks every now and then. 

I see a dark haired girl in the crowd with tears streaming down her face. She must know Daisy.

Diamond Carsan

Sapphire Western

Talia Marx

Red Sphare

Quimby Acker

Only some of the names that are called. These names, that would never title a child in my district. They are Capitol names, no doubt. I miss the last few children being called, my thoughts distracting me. I glance at the line of scared looking girls on the opposite side of the stage. They all look completely different from eachother, but most Capitol people do.

Tamer starts calling the boys.

Rocky Tex

Caleb Yellow

Ty Parker

Fox Leonard

Striker Meller

I watch every one of them take their place on the stage. "Ladies and gentleman. The tributes of the 76th Hunger Games!" No one claps. No one moves. They just stare. At me, at us; the victors. I see pure hatred in their eyes. But then I see the charred hole in the road in front of the president's mansion and the hatred towards them comes flooding back.

I watch the last few kids go into their new Justice Building. People begin clearing away, going back to their homes.

"Victors. Over here," Tamer motions for us to follow him. We slowly walk over to him. "Peeta. You mentor Diamond and Rocky, Ty and Talia, and Striker and Quimby."

"Katniss you're mentoring Sapphire and Park, Daisy and Caleb, and Fox and Red," he tells me. I replay the names in my mind over and over again. These are the kids I will get to know and watch die. These are the kids that I will have to prepare for murder.