Chapter 43

Katniss

Tears begin threatening to spill down my face as I close the door to Peeta's room. I take a deep breath and lean against the wall. I have to tell myself that I can't go back to sitting on the couch, staring blankly ahead of me. I can't fall silent again, only eating once in a while. I have to stay strong for Ruth and Peeta; the only people I have left. I thought that Gale and I could become friends again, but we haven't spoken in a while. He's too busy now.

"Katniss. There you are," I turn to see Haymitch standing at the end of the hallway. I swallow and blink away the tears in my eyes. "The Reaping is scheduled for two days at two." I furrow my eyebrows.

"This early? Do the Capitol people even know it's happening?" I ask.

"Yes. Plutarch just sent out the news. They have a day to prepare. All the remaining victors are going to be split up. Two random kids are going to be paired up, forming the 'districts'. There are only four victors, though, so you'll have to train more than two of them. Probably six, actually," he says.

"Six?" I take a shaky breath. How can I get to know six kids and then watch them die? I know it would have been hard with two but six. . .I know Peeta will hate this. 

"Yes, unless Annie shows up within the next two days, but she's not really in good shape to be a mentor," he says. I nod and look at my feet. Maybe it was wrong of me to vote yes for these Games.

"Just one victor?" I ask. Haymitch nods.

"Same as always. Except for the 74th Games," says Haymitch. He winks at me and walks away.

I tell myself to go back into Peeta's room but I don't need another lecture about this. I'd probably just start crying again. I turn and walk away.

***

I wander back to the hospital to visit Ruth. I have to tell her about the Games. I hold her hand as she sleeps. Her eyes open. "Hi," she whispers.

"Hey," I reply softly, brushing her dark hair away from her face. "There's something I have to tell you." She gives me a worried look. "They're having another Games. With the Capitol's children." Ruth's lips part slowly and she gives me a worried look.

"But, why?" she asks. "Who decided it?"

"The victors," I say, guilt overcoming me. 

"You?" I nod.

"We had a vote."

"Did you say yes?" I nod again. A disappointed look crosses her face. She looks up at the ceiling. "You have to be a mentor?"

"To six children. Not just two," I say. She nods.

"What did Annie vote for?" she asks. Ruth doesn't know about Annie. Of course, she went missing right before Ruth was shot and she's been here the whole time. "Katniss?" She must have noticed my facial expression. My lip trembles.

"Ruth. . ." I trail off.

"She's dead?" she asks, a silent tear rolling down her cheek.

"No. But she's missing," I reply.

"So, probably dead," she says. I nod and a tear falls from my eye. I had actually liked Annie. She was so kind and selfless. "Where's Finn?"

"I think he's with. . ." I actually have no idea where Finn is. Probably in some nursery somewere. "I don't know."

"Oh," Ruth whispers. "Where's Peeta?"

"He's in his room," I say.

"That's good," she whispers. "Katniss. . .My condition isn't very good. . ."

"What?" I ask. I feel as though I can't breath. Is she saying that she's going to die? No. I promised her I wouldn't let her. I refuse to let her die. Not after Rue and Prim.

"I've heard the doctors whispering about me. I lost a lot of blood. I sleep a lot. I think my shoulder got infected. They don't have the right medicine for me," she explains. I shake my head, another tear falling from my eye.

"No. You aren't going to die," I say, firmly. "You'll be fine." Ruth nods but I can see in her eyes that she doesn't think I'm right.