Chapter 23

Peeta

Katniss. She was standing right in front of me. I realized what I did right before she left. She brought me back.

I watch her be pulled away by the guards. I try to make her stay but I can't bring myself to speak. My hijacked self is beginning to take over again.

I clench my fists, trying to fight it. I can feel it coming back, taking over my brain. I still have a small part of me that loved Katniss. I need to hang on to that. But I can't. The violent wave completely washes over me.

Katniss Everdeen is a mutt. She's nothing but a horrible muttation. She killed everyone. It's her fault. It's all her fault.

Katniss

I had no nightmares last night. I'm surprised, but I think I was too exhausted to have any.

When I wake up the next morning, I jump back somewhat. There is a young girl sitting on the third bed in the room. Her eyes are a crystal blue, almost like Peeta's but darker. Her head is cocked to the side slightly. "Hello," I say.

"Hi," she replies quietly. She looks away, pretending she was never watching me.

"I'm Katniss," I say. I usually don't talk to people, strangers especially, but there's something about this girl that makes me feel safe. 

"I know. Your practically famous," she says. I smile weakly. I look at the wall to my right. It's cream colored, just like every other wall. It's chipped and dusty. "I'm Ruth."

"I heard about that boy. Peeta," she says.

"Oh, yes," I say, pretending that I don't really care much.

"I knew your sister," she says. I look up. Tears begin forming in my eyes but I blink them away. "Well, not really. In 13 we spoke once. She helped my family."

"What happened?" I ask. She sighs.

"We were from 8. My sister and brothers were killed, and my parents and I were injured. We got picked up by a hovercraft and brought to thirteen. They managed to help me because my burns weren't that severe, but my parents died shortly after," she explains quietly.

"I'm sorry. . .Prim was killed in a bombing. And my father in a mining accident in my District. I guess were all on fire," I joke, weakly. My fake smile quickly fades. Ruth doens't laugh. I'm sure she knew how I felt, considering the fact that her entire family is dead too. 

"Do you want to get breakfast? It's a little late, but they don't close for a while," she says.

"Sure," I reply. I stand up and undo my braid. I don't bother to redo it. We walk out of our room together.

***

After breakfast, Ruth goes back to our room. I told her I was going to walk around for a little while. She left without questioning me.

I turn down a random hallway. I remember Bonnie and Twill. I don't think they ever found 13. I wonder if Ruth knew them or their family. Maybe Twill was Ruth's teacher.

I pull at the sleeve of my navy blue shirt. My boots click fairly loudly on the shiny white floor. I'm really looking for the hospital wing, even though I know they'd never let me in.

I do find it after a while. I stand there, staring at the door. I don't touch the doorknob and try to get in. I just stand there, waiting. Waiting for Peeta to walk out and wrap his arms around me. I'm waiting to see his eyes again.