Chapter 80

Katniss
"Katniss, we should get going," Peeta says. I look up, interrupted from my thoughts. Now I can't remember what I was thinking about. I nod and stand, straightening my gray shirt. Peeta takes my hand and I smile weakly. I wonder what changed his mind so quickly. What made him realize that he won't hurt me. That I'm okay. I quickly slip upstairs to change. I force myself to wear a light green dress and uncomfortable shoes. Luckily the bottom is flat, though. I hate heels. I decide to leave my hair undone. It would take too much time to braid it right now, and I can't really do much else with it. I long for my mother, who used to braid my hair all the time. I remember the style she did for the Reaping. I shake it out of my thoughts and return back downstairs. "You look beautiful," Peeta says. I mumble a quiet 'thanks'. Peeta's wearing a simple white t-shirt with a brown colored jacket over it. I would prefer his outfit over mine any day. My father's hunting jacket, another thing I managed to save from my crumbling house, is now in Peeta's bakery. I left it there a few days ago and never thought to go get it again, so I can't wear that today. There's no time to stop. Effie, who visited shortly after Haymitch, said that we had to be there exactly on schedule. I'm just thankful I don't have to be bombarded by my prep team for this. I could wear my usual clothes, but I know Effie would have a fit. She was reluctant to let me go without loads of makeup, but I won that fight.

"Like I said, you don't have to talk." I nod and we step out of the door. I was surprised that no people were already waiting for us outside our door. By the look on Peeta's face, he is too. I want to go knock on Haymitch's door and force him to come with us, but I refrain. He'd just end up kicking me out and locking the door anyway. Effie's house looks deserted so I assume she's already in the sqaure. "Whoa..." Peeta mumbles. The entire square is filled with people. No one seemed to notice us, though. They were all looking the other direction, craning their necks as if they wanted to see something.

"Are they all hear for us?" I ask. I'm surprised Peeta can hear me over the crowd. This is our last chance. We could turn back for home and make up some lie about one of us having the flu. Or that we already have plans.

"I don't think-" Peeta is stopped by the loud pang of a gunshot going off in the crowd. My stomach drops. I haven't heard that sound in such a long time. Peeta pulls me to the ground. He has a terrified look in his eye. I can see that a few people followed us and dropped to the ground, but some are still standing. I mentally scold them for how idiotic that is, but it isn't like they can hear me. I look past a few people's legs, but I can't quite see what's going on. I can't make out the words everyone is saying. It's too loud. I can barely hear Peeta when he says, "What's going on?" A sick feeling washes over me.

"Peeta. What time is it?" I ask. He looks at his watch.

"A little after noon. Why?"

"We're late," I mumble. He gave me a look that said 'Why is that important now?'. I can't help but wonder if this shooter is here because we were supposed to be. And by the time someone noticed they had a gun, it was too late to see Peeta or me in the crowd. And if we were any earlier, on time, we could have been dead. I can see in Peeta's eyes that he's thinking the same thing.

"We have to get out of here," I say. I hope that the shooter doesn't come out of their spot, looking for us.

"And go home? What if they follow us?" Peeta asks.

"It's better than here," I reply. Another gunshot rings out in the square and I cover my head with my hands. Cries echo around us. The second bullet must have found a home in a District 12 citizen. I don't want to think about who. "One the count of three, we run."

"Katniss, I don't think that's-"

"One," I say, ignoring him. He sighs and mumbles 'two'. "Three. Lets go." I stand, pulling Peeta too his feet. I pray that the people in front of us are preventing the person from seeing us. I start running, faster than I have in a long time. I can hear Peeta's footsteps behind me. Murmurs erupt from the crowd. They see us. One more gunshot. I panic when I feel an overwhelmingly sharp pain in my leg. I fall to the pavement, clutching my thigh. The bullet hit me.

"Katniss!" Peeta yells, kneeling beside me. I grab his arm for support but I can't stand, let alone run.

"You have to get out of here," I mumble. "Go!"

"No, I'm not leaving you," he says.

"You have to. I can hide here. I'll be fine," I say, trying to hide the horrible pain I felt. I know I most likely won't die here. And I think he knows that too, but I know if I were in his place I would never leave him. "Please. Go." Peeta kisses me and crouches down, getting ready to go back. "Get Haymitch," I say. He nods. I don't think he'd have ever gone if it weren't for Haymitch being home. Peeta takes one last glance at me and darts off towards the Victor's Village.