Chapter 31

Katniss

"Miss Everdeen. We need to board the hovercraft," says the guard that I spoke to earlier. 

"Now?" I ask. What about Ruth? I wouldn't get to say goodbye if. . .The thought is too unbearable. The man's deep voice interrupts my thoughts.

"The sooner we leave, the better," he says.

"I'm not going without Peeta. And I need to see someone in the hospital before we go," I say. I probably won't be able to see Ruth yet. The guard sighs and I can see him thinking.

"Fine. Peeta can ride with us, but if he gets too out of hand, I will be forced to send him back here. He will be kept under careful watch," he says. I thought this over. Yes, it's good Peeta is coming with me, but they'll send him back if he gets a flashback. And knowing him, he'll demand to be in handcuffs. I'll never be able to really talk to him if they're watching us the whole time, but I guess it's better than leaving him here without knowing for certain that he's safe. At least there, I can protect him. 

"Okay. But I need to see someone in the hospital," I press.

"You get ten minutes. Come with me," he says. I grab Peeta's arm and pull him down the hall with me. We arrive at the door of the hospital. If Snow were to bomb us right now, we would all be dead.

A doctor steps out. "Can I help you?" he asks.

"I'm here to see Ruth." I say. My voice sounds flat, but strong. Like it used to. I think Peeta is the one who put my broken pieces back together.

"I'm sorry, she's in surgery right now. You'll have to come back later," the doctor says. I see Peeta nervously glance towards me like he expects me to blow up and start screaming. I don't.

"Is she going to die?" I say. Plain and simple. No sugar coating.

"Probably not. She's lucky she was only hit in the shoulder, but she did lose a lot of blood. She should be fine. They're getting out the bullet right now," he explains. I nod.

"Thank you." I start to turn away but I stop myself. "When she wakes up, tell her that I'll come back for her. Katniss will. Tell her I wanted to stay and I'll be back as soon as I can." A hot tear begins to form in my right eye. I walk away before they fall. Peeta nods a thank you to the doctor and catches up to me.

"She'll be ok," he says. I nod, even though I don't entirely believe him.

***

On the hovercraft I sit beside Peeta and Plutarch. Only one of which I enjoy being near. "So what exactly am I supposed to do?" I ask.

"We're going to take videos of you protesting about Fiona Snow being president. And when we know that it's safe, you'll talk in front of the Capitol people," Plutarch says. When it's safe. It will never be safe. I'm sure there are some people who really do want Snow to be president. I'm in danger. Someone could shoot me off the stage at any moment. I just nod a long while Plutarch is explaining. "Don't worry, you'll be wearing super heavy armor and a bullet proof vest. A bullet most likely wouldn't even be able to hurt you."

"Most likely," I scoff. Plutarch sighs and leans back in the chair. I stand up and wander around, falling side to side when the hovercraft moves. I hear footsteps behind me. I am expecting it to be Plutarch but instead it's Peeta.

"Hey. . ." he says quietly. I don't reply. Just stare straight ahead. I sit down on a bench, Peeta sits next to me. "You're really confusing, you know that?" he says. I look at him and cock my head to the side a little bit.

"What do you mean?" I ask. He laughs quietly. I think it's a fake laugh, though.

"You kiss me, and then act as if nothing happened," he says, shrugging. His eyes have a little bit of pain in them. Pain that I am obviously causing.