Chapter 37

Peeta

Katniss is sitting in one of the chairs beside my hospital bed. We siy in silence, thinking about the possibilities of what will happen next. I haven't spoken to Plutarch or Haymitch, or anyone else for that matter. Besides my doctors, who know nothing, and Katniss. She knows as much as I do, if not a little bit more.

I'm not sure what happened to that soldier that shot me. I can tell Katniss doesn't want to talk about it and I'm not going to pressure her into telling me. I know she will when she's ready. Although, maybe it's so horrible that she'll never tell me tell me. Either way, we still might end up dead. If Fiona Snow is indeed president, we are already dead.

***

Katniss left to eat a little while ago. I had to beg her to leave. She refused to leave my side but I think the hunger overpowered her. I doubt she's eaten for a while. I wouldn't be surprised. With everything that's happened, there's hardly enough time.

"Peeta," I hear a voice in the doorway. I look up. Haymitch is walking slowly into my room. I'm happy to see him, but at the same time, I felt like I want to avoid him. After him lecturing me in the field earlier, I haven't really been up to talking to him.

"So what's happening?" I ask, finally breaking the ominous silence that fills the room.

"Well, they don't really know yet. A lot of people are fighting against Snow. Your speeches hit home with some I guess," he says.

"And the others? The ones that didn't buy our speeches?" I ask.

"Well, that's what the election is for," Haymitch says. Election?

"Who's the other candidate? Paylor's dead. I doubt anyone else will even want to take the job. They're too afraid to get killed by Snow," I say. It's true. No one will step up and take the job. Not unless Snow is killed, and they won't kill her. She didn't kill anyone. There is no proof that she did, anyway. Just her men. Haymitch shrugs and hunches over, putting his pointer finger and thumb on the top of his crooked nose. "So what do we do now?" Haymitch stands and straightens his back.

"We wait," he says, giving me a scary looking smile. I know it's fake. He walks out of the room without another word.

I lay my head down on the uncomfortable hospital pillow. It feels as though I'm lying on leaves or paper. I refuse to ask for a new one though. Coming from District 12, I know a soft pillow definitely is not essential. I can certainly manage without one.

My mind begins to slowly wander off. I begin thinking about the Games but I stop myself. I can't risk having another flashback. Especially not now, not here. Not while I'm injured. I know, my brain could somehow see it as a threat. I could manage to convince my brain to think that Katniss is probably the one that hurt me. And I can't let that happen. I can't let the hijacking overcome me. Not again.

_________________________

Sorry that was a short chapter, but I'm updating another one right after this, so by the time you read this, there should be more ;) And that chapter wi be longer! Be sure to vote! ⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇