Chapter 39

Peeta

We are back in District 13. It's been three hours, actually. My doctors come in a give me a type of medicine once in a while. They try to give me updates, but they don't mean anything to me.

Still, no ones knows what's happening in the Capitol. If they do, they aren't telling us.

I start thinking about the recent events. I'm not even sure how long ago it was when Katniss and I were running from the fog in 12. It seems like at least six months, but I know it hasn't been nearly that long.

Katniss is already in the hospital wing when they bring me in. The little girl, Ruth, is lying on the bed beside her. She gives me a weak smile when she sees me.

I didn't really get a good look a Ruth before. I was confused and afraid then. My mind was only just beginning to work right again.

Now, I see that Ruth has fairly wavy dark hair and pale skin. Her eyes look like the eyes I used to see in Prim. The sparkling blue eyes that Katniss was so, is so, crushed over losing. Katniss' sister's eyes. Maybe that's why Katniss is drawn to her so much; because she sees her sister in Ruth.

I look up at the ceiling. Katniss is still sitting beside Ruth. I know it's selfish, but I'm slightly hurt that she doesn't even bother to come talk to me. I brush that feeling away. I know that Katniss has spent a lot of time with me, and I'm not even severely injured.

Katniss does walk over eventually, though. I glance over at Ruth's bed. She looks to be asleep. "Hey," Katniss says, sitting in the chair beside me. I smile politely, as if to say hello. "How are you?" 

"I've been better," I shrug. Actually, I've been a lot worse. But I decide not to say that. I shift my prosthetic leg slightly and wince. A small bit of pain is felt in my side. Katniss takes my hand and squeezes it tight.

"I killed Enobaria," she whispers. I'm not expecting her to say that. At all. In fact, I have to replay her words in my mind to make sure I heard her right. 

"When?" I ask. I know when. She doesn't say but I know. It was after I got shot. That's what she wasn't telling me.

"She was the guard. I chased after her and I shot her in the leg and. . ." she trails off. I pull Katniss closer to me. "And we fought. Wrestled actually. It reminded me of Clove and I at the feast in the arena." She shudders marginally. Tears begin to form in her eyes. "But then. . . She got on top of me. I thought I was going to die. She was about to rip out my throat with her teeth, so I. . ." Tears slip from her eyes rapidly now, but she brushes them away quickly.

"You don't have to say anymore," I whisper. She swallows hard and nods. Katniss sets her face softly on my chest and I wrap my arms around her.

"I watched the light leave her eyes. She fell on top of me. . ." She trails off. I can't even imagine how traumatic that must be for her. It's like a little piece of the games all over again.

"Shh, don't say anymore. . ." I whisper. She sniffles and I hold her tighter and closer to me, as if she would leave me if I don't.

"I just wish. . . that. . ." She can barely talk, barely breath. I just hold her even tighter and close my eyes.

"Shhh. . ." I whisper. I am surprised to see Katniss this way. When she cries, it's usually something different. More of a panic tone in her voice. But now. . .this is different than all of the other times. I'm not sure why.

"Hey brainless," I hear a soft voice from the door. I know immediately who it is. I open up my eyes again to see Johanna Mason standing in the doorway, tugging on a paper bracelet on her wrist. Katniss looks up to and quickly wipes away the tears. Johanna's hair grew back. Not long, but it's as if she got a short haircut. Her facial expression is different too. She looks broken, like Katniss and I. Tired and sad and broken.

"Johanna," I say. She smiles and leans against the wall, still pulling on the bracelet. It reminds me of when I used to pull on my handcuffs to help me through flashbacks.

"Why is it that you're always in the hospital?" she asls me, her brown eyes staring intently at us. I ignore her question and put on a fake smile. 

"What are you doing here?" Katniss asks. She's stopped crying. Her face looks strong and focused.

"Not exactly the welcome I was hoping for," she says slyly.

"We weren't exactly expecting you," Katniss replies.

"Katniss," I whisper. She tends to get a little angry when it came to Johanna, even though I know they used to be roommates after they rescued us from the Capitol. Katniss and Johanna stare at each other for a few seconds until Johanna breaks the glare.

"I heard that you were here. All of the Districts are going crazy over Snow. And your little speeches," she says, shrugging as though it was nothing. "Saw you got shot."

I nod and motion my hand to the bandage on my side. "I'm fine though," I say. She smiles and scrunches up her nose, looking around.

"This place is so cramped. I can hardly breath," she complains. That's Johanna though. Complain, complain, complain. "Did you hear about Annie?"

"What happened to Annie?" Katniss asks, suddenly interested. Johanna sighs, and looks at her bracelet.

"She went missing. Right before you left, I think," she says, sadly. A strangled noise comes from Katniss's throat. I didn't know they were that good of friends. It might just possibly be because of Finnick.

"Well, I better get going. Stupid doctors are still swarming me constantly," she scowls. She smiles mischievously. "See you around." She waves and walks out of the room. Katniss sits down on the empty bed beside me, and sighs.

"There are only five of us left, Peeta," Katniss says. I don't understand what she means at first. "Five victors." 

"You don't know that. There could be six. Annie could be alive," I say. I knew, though, that it most likely wasn't true.

Johanna

Me

Haymitch

Katniss

Beetee

The only victors left. Well, probably. It just makes me hate Snow even more. I hate the Capitol and Panem. I wish we could just live this place and never come back.

"We should have another games," I say softly. Katniss looks at me like I had gone completely mad. "Of the Capitol's children." I had initially voted no for it. I've changed my mind. Of course, Beetee won't be here to mentor. If they took him away from his new extremely important science experiment I heard he's working on, he'd most likely end up a Gamemaker anyway.

"That's not going to happen. Not now, with Snow," Katniss says, shaking her head. I shrug, lean back into my pillow, and close my eyes.