Chapter 24

Katniss

"I love you." He whispers. His eyes turn black again. I know what was about to happen. I'm too close to him. He reaches up sinks his fingernail into my arm. I pull away before any real damage could be done. I got to speak to him. I spoke to Peeta. But just as quick as it lasted, it was gone again. He is gone again. 

There is yelling from outside the door. I completely forgot about them. I know I'd be in so much trouble. I don't care. They can't forbid me to see Peeta. If they are smart enough, they would have known I wouldn't give up. I still wont. 

The door comes crashing down. They knocked it over. Arms wrap around me, and try pulling me out the door. Their grip is too strong. I can't escape.

They pull me out of the room. Right before I'm completely out I see the doctors stabbing syringes into his arms. It just makes him more angry. Pain flashes through his face. "No!" I scream. "Stop!"

I kick and fight them but I am no match for these people. I do the only thing I have left to do. I turn my head slightly and clenched my teeth down hard on one of the men's hand. Blood fill my mouth. The man shrieks and releass me. I kick the other in the stomach and he falls back. I know it's no use. They keep coming towards me. 

I run back to Peeta's room. I have no idea what kind of liquid they were injecting into him through those syringes, but it's hurting him. "Stop!" I yell, pushing one out of the doctor's hands.

"Katniss!" I hear a gasp behind me. My mother. I ignore her. My hand feels wet and hot. I look down to see blood trickling out of the spot where Peeta clawed me. It doesn't hurt much.

More arms pull me away from Peeta. I fight them, not realizing tears are streaming down my face. I scream at the top of my lungs to make them let me go. I'm sure they would kick me out of here. They can't have a crazy girl living here. 

They don't though. The guards bring me to an empty room with a bed. The walls and floor are a bright white. There isn't any other furniture, besides that bed. It's where the insane people went, I'm sure of it.

The men throw me in there. I collapse onto the floor and sob. My hair falls over my face, but I don't bother to push it away. I don't really know why I'm crying. I mean, I did get to talk to Peeta. Yes, they are hurting him but I didn't know why I'm crying. I never cry. I never used to anyway. But I am now.

I'm sitting here, in the middle of the room, my body curled up into a ball. I sob quietly to myself. My hands cover my ears, as if blocking out the world. How did I get here? I ask myself that question all the time.

I hear the door open. Footsteps in front of me. I don't look up. The guards are probably back to make me leave this place. I don; care. I don't care about anything anymore.

The person doesn't say anything. They sit beside me, on the floor. I feel arms wrap around my body. I still don't look up. I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. 

"Shhh. . ." says the person. A man. Not just a random man. Gale. I am surprised I know simply by the soft noise he makes and the sounds of breathing but I do. Yet, I still don't look up. I just sit there, sobbing on the floor.

Gale eventually pulls me up on his lap. I press my head onto his chest, soaking his shirt with my tears. "Shhh. . .calm down," he whispers, soothingly. How can I calm down? I am a terribly broken girl. I have nothing else to live for. I don't know why I am living. I wish I was dead. Then I wouldn't have to deal with this anymore.

But Gale still sits with me. He holds me in his arms for the longest time. I am not even sure if he is allowed in here. I know Haymitch will through a fit when I get out of here.

Still, I cry in Gale's arms. I don't think I am crying about Peeta. Not entirely anyway. I'm crying with all of my tears that I've held back in the past. The extra tears for Prim, Rue, Cinna, Finnick, Mags, Madge, Boggs, Wiress. Everyone that I knew that helped me, saved me, and died. I cry for the people that I will never be able to say goodbye to, or thank them for what they did. All of these people died because of me. I can never, ever repay them now. I know that. That's why I cry.