Chapter 14

Peeta

War. It's going to happen again. Fiona Snow is going to start another war, and we will have to be a part of it. Again.

And this time, if she won, The Hunger Games will be brought back. By then, Katniss and I will be too old to be reaped, but what about our children? Not that Katniss and I would ever get married but I would like to have kids at some point. And who knows, maybe someday, I'll find someone else to love. Maybe I'll find someone who loves me back. Somehow, I really doubt it.

"How did you get here?" Katniss' mother asks. I let Katniss explain everything while I get lost in my thoughts.

I pick up a few words like woods, hovercraft, field. I look at Katniss again. I see that strong girl again. I guess she's made it more of an instinct to be like this in front of her mother.

"You shouldn't be here," her mother says. That's definitely not what I was expecting her to say. Katniss scrunched her eyebrows together. I can see her trying to think of what to say. "I'm sorry. That was rude. But if they find out you escaped, they'll come and kill everyone here. They'll kill me."

"Then why did they let us go in the first place?" I ask. Katniss' mother looks at me.

"Someone let you escape?" she asks. I nod and Katniss looks at me. "Who?"

"I don't know. All of the soldiers wore helmets that covered their faces," I say.

"This is good. That means that there's a soldier on our side. A spy," Katniss's mother says. A spy?

"Who?" Katniss asks.

"I don't know. But you can't trust any of them. You don't know what side any of them are on. You never know," she says. Miss Everdeen takes a sip from her teacup. "Have you talked to Gale lately?" she asks, changing the subject.

Katniss tenses up and looks away. "He was in 12 when the second bombing happened. He's dead," I whisper the last part especially quiet. Katniss' jaw clenches.

"Oh. . ." mumbles her mom.

"So, where are we supposed to go?" Katniss asks. There is still a little sadness in her voice. Her mother thinks for a second.

"Come with me," she stands up and walks to a big steel door. She pulls a key from her apron and wrenches the door open.

There is a staircase going down. I can't see anything beyond the first 7 steps. Just pure darkness.

"Goodbye Katniss," her mother says. Katniss just nods. She doesn't say anything. I nod at Mrs. Everdeen also. I take Katniss's hand and we walk down the first stair. Miss Everdeen shuts the door.

As we step onto the next step, there is a gunshot from above. Then another, and two more. Then, silence. Katniss lets go of my hand and walks back up to the door. She tried opening it, but it wouldn't budge. She starts pounding on the door.

"Katniss!" I whisper. A couple tears run down her face and her breathing is unsteady. I wrap my arms around her to get her to stop pounding on the door. "We have to go. They'll find us."

She whimpers and turns back down the stairs. We quickly run down them, unsure of what lies at the bottom.

Hope you liked it! It was pretty short but I'll update another chapter soon ;) Be sure to vote!!