Chapter 145

Katniss

He arrived almost two weeks after he was supposed to. Peeta was convinced that he loved me so much, that I made him feel so safe and protected and loved, that he didn't want to come out. I wasn't buying it. Towards the end I rarely left our bedroom, though I hardly ever slept. I was never hungry. I was always angry, and Haymitch's near constant remarks of how "nothing really changed" didn't particularly help the situation. 

Peeta was practically at a loss for what to do. I know he tried to help me as much as he could, what with taking care of Willow and making sure I ate enough and took my medications and supplements, but really there was nothing he could do for me. I was in misery. Long, tiresome misery that I could not escape no matter what I did. 

When I first realized that he was coming, I didn't believe it at first. Not because I was scared. I thought I would be. I was terrified with Willow. But with this little one I wanted nothing more but to hold them in my arms, tightly against my chest. I wanted them to hold onto my finger with their whole fist, I wanted to see Peeta's crystal eyes grow watery at the sight of theirs. I wanted to kiss them and rock them and sing to them. I wanted to love them, even more than I already had. More than anything I wanted the baby to arrive. So when I first felt something different, I ignored it. I didn't want to get my hopes up. I didn't want to rush to the hospital only to be told that it wasn't time yet. So I waited. I hadn't said a word to Peeta, who was adding his finishing touches to the new nursery he had been working on for months. He painted it a sweet yellow color that reminded me of the evening primroses he planted outside of the house so many years ago, and was adorned with dark mahogany furniture, small twinkle lights that hung from the walls, and a mobile with little yellow ducks strung up above the baby's crib.  

After hours upon hours of futile attempts to sleep, I was finally lulled into a deep slumber. I'm still not quite sure how long it had been, but by the time I was startled awake by the feeling of immense pain and agony, the sun began to set in the sky. I cried out for Peeta and clenched the cotton sheets with my fist. Anxiety and fear washed over me as I realized the sensations I had experienced earlier were not merely coincidental. My second baby was about to arrive. 

As soon as Peeta bounded into our room, my eyes filled with tears that spilled over rapidly down my cheeks as I was consumed with guilt. I began rambling on to him about how I had felt something earlier and ignored it, how I was terrified I had messed something up. He wrapped his shaking hands around my own and mumbled things I can't remember about how everything was going to be okay. He left my side to call for someone, whether it was a doctor or Haymitch and Effie I'm not sure, as they all showed up to our house eventually anyway. 

When Peeta returned back at my side, I was nearly crying from the agonizing pain that I was in. It wasn't stopping. I told him through tears and barred teeth that I didn't think it could wait for the hospital. I was terrified and so was Peeta. I had seen my mother deliver so many children in our old house. We didn't need a hospital. But my mother was also doctor, and really so was Prim. 

I shut my eyes tightly and imagined her, Prim, perched beside me, pushing the locks of hair out of my face. I imagined her holding my hand and smiling, overjoyed that she was about to become an aunt to another child. I heard her laugh. I saw her blue eyes that are so similar to Willow's. I felt her beside me, assisting me, protecting me, taking care of me after all the years that I took care of her. It was as if all of the worry, the fear, washed away. I continued to think of not only her, but my father, Finnick, Rue, Boggs, Cinna. . .All of the people who were there for me, protecting me. They all were speaking to me, telling me that they were still here. That they wouldn't let anything happen to me or my children. They said that I was strong, brave, capable. They told me I could do it and that I would be okay. Everything would be okay.