Chapter 54

Katniss

"Katniss! Dinner with District 4!" I recognize her voice right away. But why is she here?

"Okay, Effie," I mumble. I hear her clicking heels fade away down the hall. I have to eat dinner with Sapphire and Park before they have to be interviewed. They spent the day training, so right before interviews, Caesar announces their scores. And tomorrow. . .the games begin.

I push the thought from my mind and braid my hair, fixing my grey shirt. I lace up my boots and walk out into the hallway. I take the elevator up to the fourth floor and step into the dining hall. I must've been late because everyone else is already at the table; meaning the tributes, their escort Agata, and their stylists.

"How was training?" I ask, taking my place.

"Fine," Park mumbles. Sapphire glares at him and turns her attention back to me.

"I learned a few things. How to tie a knot, start a fire, camouflage myself. I knew how to work with knives before hand. That's what I did for my private session. Knife throwing."

"Okay. Were you any good?" I ask.

She shrugs "I guess so. I hit the target well almost every time, so yes, I think so."

"Good. What about you, Park. What did you do?"

"I camouflaged myself," he grumbles. "I can't do anything else."

"You could still get a high score off of that. I know people who did."

"You mean, Peeta?" Park asks, annoyed. I don't answer, and take a bite of food instead.

"He got a 6, right?" Sapphire chimes in.

"8, I think," I say.

"That's not bad, Park," she tells him. He shrugs and continues eating.

"Interviews are tonight. You have to be kind, grateful, funny, friendly, and charming. But give yourself an edge to give you a dangerous side. But don't overdo it," I say.

"Okay," Sapphire says. The television in the corner beeps on and we turn ourself towards it. I wait for my first set of tributes; Daisy and Caleb. A nervous pang hits my stomach. What if they did terrible? They were the only two I really like. 

"Caleb Yellow with a score of six," I sink back into my chair. It wasn't bad, I guess. Just two lower than Peeta had. "Daisy Poller with a score of nine." Relief floods me. Nine. Nine is a good score, a great score. But how did she do it?

"It's us now," Sapphire says, grabbing Park's hand. He tenses up, but loosens within a few seconds.

"Park Darwin with a score of six," Caesar says.

"Good job, Park!" people the stylists and escorts shriek. He shrug and waits for Sapphire's score.

"Sapphire Western with a score of eight," he says. Her jaw drops and a pink color floods her cheeks.

"Sapphire! That's so amazing!" everyone cooes. She smiles and brushes them off, glancing at Park's reaction. He stares straight ahead, at the TV. Red and Fox's turn.

"Fox Leonard with a score of 5." I can't help but feel joy. He deserves it. He acts too cocky, and he overdid it. But guilt rises in my chest soon after. He was still my tribute.

"Red Sphare with a score of six."

I stop listening after that. I got three sixes, a nine, a five, and an eight. So one tribute from every pairing got a six. That isn't bad. It isn't bad at all. Then I think, for just a split second, that one of these kids could win.