Chapter 42: New tides

***

***

Mama Dido had taken Butter back to the Island the very next day, Serenity had a tearful meltdown when her best friend left her again. They promised each other to meet up soon and hugged and cried at the wheels of the airplane for a couple of hours.

The following week passed in a blur, Serenity was loaded with school works. She was busy studying and preparing for the mid terms which was in a few days. She would sit in her little study for hours before Alessandro forced her out of the house. He would take her for walks or swims everyday. The days were salty and sweet.

"I forgot how to do this problem, Alessandro." Serenity placed her notes infront of him. They were relaxing in the little orchard. The butlers had laid out a cutesy picnic for them. And the girl still brought her books along.

Alessandro picked up the pen and solved it precisely.
"With every question I solve, you take a bite of your sandwich." He negotiated.

She sighed and chew down her almost cold sandwich. These days, her anxiety and examphobia had disrupted her appetite. Alessandro had to either coax or threaten her to eat.

He placed the answers in front of her. Serenity beamed, staring at him in awe.
"Why are you so good at everything! I am so jealous."

"I should be the one who is jealous. You never seem to pay attention to me these days."

She grinned, "You're such a big baby."

"Oh really?" Alessandro raised his eyebrow.

Serenity paused, "No, Alessandro. That was sarcasm."

The raised eyebrow slowly came down. He looked at her serious expression and muttered under his breath.
"And she still don't get sarcasm."

"Did you say something?"

"No. Finish your juice."

"By the way, our English teacher gave us an assignment to write a literary piece on how we envisioned ourselves in the future." She sipped her lemonade, taking sweet time to swallow the drink, "I am confused about what to write."

"What do you aspire to be?"
Serenity shrugged and laid down on her back on the ground. Alessandro quietly stuffed a little pillow under her head. His fingers caressed the side of her face.

"I don't know." She answered honestly, "I am confused. Justin said that he will follow his father's footstep. He will be inheriting their family business."

Alessandro frowned. His fingers combing through the strands of her hair stiffened for a moment before he relaxed. He knew who Justin was. He has his eyes and ears everywhere Serenity was concerned. The only fact that assured him some sanity is that his little girlfriend's supposedly good friend is gay.

"You can take your time, love. There is no hurry."

"But I don't like being clueless, Alessandro. I read on the internet that lack of exposure puts a limit on the skills of many talented individuals."