CHAPTER TWO: Unluck

I hadn't really planned to be scruffed and held with my feet off the floor by a known murderer, but hey, I'd gotten just a little too cocky.

The worst part of it was that I couldn't see Killer's face, so I couldn't figure out if he was about to straight up end my life or not. Knowing his reputation he likely was, but maybe there was a chance I could talk him out of it?

"Okay, I know what you're thinking." I started, keeping my voice as level as possible. Pirates were a whole different breed who could smell fear. "What the hell is this pint sized brat doing going through our personal property? I'll kill him. Something along those lines, yeah?"

Killer didn't respond. He just continued holding me up off the ground like some kind of pathetic little kitty cat.

Yeesh. Can this guy even talk?

"I'll take that strong, nerve-wracking silence as a yes. Listen, you've got it all wrong! I've been trying to track your crew down for weeks, hoping that maybe I could join up! Everyone was asleep when I found you, so I just let myself in. I guess I got a little too comfortable, huh? That's my bad, buddy."

Still, the man gave me nothing to work with. Not even a grunt, or a movement. Was he even human under there? Could he understand what I was saying? I knew I wasn't exactly spewing my best bullshit, but how could I when I was basically talking to a rock dressed to the fours, at most, in polka dots?

One slice with those blades and I'm a goner. Think fast, (Y/N), ol' buddy!

"Okay...I get it...You're not interested in recruiting a scrawny little bastard like me, right? I understand...I'll get out of your luscious golden mane and spare you any more trouble, if you'll just pop me back down."

It was then that Killer made a move. Sadly, it wasn't the move that I wanted, lifting me higher off the ground, his fist closing tighter around the back of my shirt collar.
"How cliché, but somebody'll be in the market for this?" He parroted the last words I had spoken to myself before he had caught me, and I mentally beat myself to a pulp. It was a slip up I had never made before, speaking out loud whilst trying to get a job like that done.

Shit. I can't talk my way out of this. I shouldn't have had all those coffee beans, or that booze earlier. This mistake is fatal.

"Yeah, alright, you caught me golden handed, I'll admit." I sighed, lifting my hands in defeat. "I need money, for super personal reasons that would be far too emotional to talk about with another manly man such as yourself. By the way, might I just say that you are exceptionally good at sneaking up on people? I'm legitimately impre-"

It took everything I had not to cry out in pain when Killer slammed me down, hard, against the desk, partially cracking it in two. My front probably fairing not much better. All of the air was knocked out of my lungs, and I wheezed and choked helplessly under his hand.

"Shut. Up." He warned, voice deep and dripping with venom. I was dead meat, I was well aware of that. My only hope would be if I could somehow get ahold of my other pistol, but the distance between my hands and my holster was much too great. He'd lop my head off before I even made it half way.

Well, at least it isn't Kid. A quick death is preferable.

"What the fuck is going on?!"

Nevermind.

My view was upside down, but when Kid entered the room, I felt the danger. It was like the devil himself licking a scorching tongue up the back of my neck. His bared teeth looked like they were set in a twisted grin from my angle, but I knew he was snarling at the sight of me.