CHAPTER THREE: Below The Belt

I had always hated being woken up.

Back home, I always had to be dragged out of bed by the ankles, down onto the floor, sheets and all. I didn't like going to sleep, but once I was, I didn't want to wake up until I was good and ready.

But being woken up by a kick to the gut? That was a little worse.

"Ow..." I coughed and wheezed, drips of my spit and bile leaking through the bandanna covering my mouth. Kid was towering over my, much more awake than he had been the night before. That certainly wasn't a good sign.

"Wake up, you little prick!" He barked, throwing a fistful of crumpled papers over my head. "What the fuck is this?! You trying to make a fool out of me?!" They were the wanted posters I had doodled on before I had climbed aboard.

Using the wall to pull myself up with my functional wrist, I picked one up and held it out, so it was right beside his head in my eyes.
"Yeah...don't grow a moustache, man. You can't pull it off."

With another kick to my stomach, I thought I'd end up with a permanent imprint of his boot. It hit a lot harder now that the wall was stopping me from falling over.
"I'm gonna make you wish you were never born, boy!"

Ow. My poor tum tum...

It was insane, actively antagonising Eustass Kid, but if I was going to meet my maker anyway, why couldn't I have a little fun before I went?
"Wh..what else are you gonna make me wish f..for..? Ooo, can it be my own private island? O..or maybe one of those funky fur coats like you-"

This time, he seized my throat in a vice grip, dragging me up the wall, making doubly sure it would hurt as much as possible. Loose nails scraped and shredded through my coat and skin, and his painted fingernails hooked into my neck like talons.

"You really don't know when to shut up, do ya, you piece of shit?!" Oh, he was mad mad now. Nearly foaming at the painted mouth.
"I told you he was insufferable." Killer sighed from the doorway to the cell, arms folded across his chest.

Rude. True, but rude.

"First, I'm gonna rip your teeth out, one by one. Who knows? Maybe I'll make a nice necklace out of 'em?" Kid's lips stretched into a devious grin, which told me he wasn't joking. "Then, maybe I'll scalp you, cut your pissy little prick off, stuff it down your throat...Y'know, starting off slow before we get to the good stuff..."

Killer hadn't been exaggerating when he had said Kid was sick, but hey, I could admire sadism. At least he had a creative streak.
"Can you stuff it into my eye socket instead? Down the throat is a little overdone, don't you think?"

I made a pretty good ragdoll, I realised, when Kid threw me across the room, smashing me against the wall. I landed on my broken wrist, and holding in my cries of pain made me want to puke.

My hat had flown off when he had thrown me, and I winced when Kid stepped right on top of it on his way over to me. His big dumb boot squished it well and good.
"I'm gonna tie you down!"

He kicked me in the chest.

"Force-feed you a bucket full of knuts and bolts!"

He kicked me in the stomach.

"And I'm gonna tear them right out of you, ripping you apart from the inside out!"

He kicked me in the crotch.

Still, I only let a few strained groans and grunts out. It hurt, immensely, but my lack of reaction was pissing him off. He was the type to thrive off of somebody begging him for their life, and I wasn't about to give him that satisfaction.