CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE: For This Moment

***(Y/N) POV***

When I woke up the next morning, Killer wasn't there.

In an instant I went from relaxed and happy to internal dread. Launching myself to my knees upon the bed, I wasn't sure why I threw the sheets and pillows into the air, as though he would be hidden beneath them, but I didn't know what else to do.

He was supposed to leave today...He wouldn't have left without saying goodbye, would he..?!

Leaping from the bed, nearly dying when my ankle tried to roll and send me head first into the dressing table, I blindly threw on whatever clothes I could find and burst into the hall, fearing the worst.

I knew he had to go back. I wasn't stupid, of course I knew that, but so soon? After what had happened between us? Without so much as a whisper? I wouldn't be able to cope with that.

Overthinking and building myself into what felt like a borderline panic attack, I had to cling to the bannister as I flung myself down the stairs, uncaring if I ate complete shit or not. I was honestly about ready to collapse and bawl my eyes out once I approached the kitchen, but something stopped me.

"I don't know how I could make myself any more clear. I'm staying here for a while longer."

Killer's voice.

Breath held in my throat, I sprinted into the kitchen to find the blond leaning on the counter, his transponder snail sitting in front of him, face angry and pinched. He glanced to me, holding up a finger for me to wait. I was glad he did.

"So you've just decided to play shipwright and ignore what we've been working towards our whole damn lives, hah?!" It was Kid. It had been so long since I had heard his voice, it was like a direct punch in the guts, but I kept silent, despite wanting to sob in relief knowing that Killer hadn't abandoned me.

"If you can tell me what we're currently doing that would need my immediate attention, by all means, go ahead, but I was under the impression that you're still fucking around at the base, sorting yourself out." Killer sighed, obviously not wanting to deal with his captain's attitude so early in the morning.

"You...I ain't fuckin' around! Things are in the works! What, are ya sick of me or somethin', is that it?!" Hearing Kid speak caused a deep pang in my chest, but I tried to ignore it. "You still pissed that I fixed my priorities and put my goal first?!"

Killer's fist balled against the counter, his teeth audibly grinding, but he was doing well at keeping his cool. If he hadn't had time away, I wasn't sure he could have.
"Yeah, Kid, I am sick of you. Your attitude, your selfishness, your complete disregard for our emotions. I need a break, otherwise I'm not sure I can keep it up for much longer."

He really is over it...

There was a long silence following Killer's truth, and I settled to lean on the wall behind him, chewing on my lip as I waited, heart still racing from my prior panic, and now this.
"How is she..?" Kid finally spoke, and his words were like the direct punch to the gut he had delivered on the day we met.

Killer turned a little to meet my eyes, but I didn't know how to react. It hurt. Of course it would hurt, hearing him ask after me like that.
"I'm looking after her." It was short, and to the point, but there was something so strikingly obvious in the way the blond pirate had said it that I doubted even Kid could misconstrue it.

"Right...Okay then..." Kid spoke a lot softer than he originally had been, the slight crackle through the transponder snail muffling something on his end of the conversation. "If ya need time, fine, then take it. I need ya home soon though, and...if (Y/N) wants to come back, she's needed too..."