CHAPTER FORTY THREE: Sentimental Shit

***(Y/N) POV***

Kid was exactly where Killer had said he would be.

His natural colours looked at home against the burning hues of sundown, his back to me as he looked out over the city. I almost didn't want to disturb him in such a peaceful state, but after what had just occurred, it was impossible not to.

"Hey, uh...Kid?" I stepped further out onto the flat roof, hearing his slight grunt of acknowledgement. "C..Could we talk..?" Now wasn't the time for my voice to be failing me. I didn't want to sound like any more of an idiot.

Turning his head, chin up, Kid looked somewhat sceptical before he finally nodded, his body following so we were face to face.
"Let me guess...Nobody wants to put up with you, so you want me to stir some shit to make things interestin'?"

That would be a much easier thing to ask...

Swallowing, barely able to get the saliva past the lump of nerves in my throat, I shook my head.
"That night...you said it was off the record..." I started, able to see his body tense from head to toe. "What if...I decided that wasn't good enough..?"

Kid's eyes narrowed as he stared at me, and I wasn't able to determine whether he was mad, or just confused.
"It ain't for you to decide whether it's good enough or not. We had an agreement." Though firm, his words held an air of caution, which was very unlike him.

It was hard to keep myself from fidgeting, or tearing my eyes away to focus on anything else, but I held my ground. My parents had at least been right about one thing. It was about time I tried to grow the hell up.

"Then...you need to shut up and just listen, okay?" I announced, taking a few strong steps forward, stopping not a foot away from him. My forehead barely reached his collarbone, which was intimidating. He'd grown since we had first laid eyes upon each other.

Just say it. Tell him.

"I..I know what I want. It's taken me a long freakin' time to figure it out, but I know now..." I started, legs starting to ache with how much tension I forced into them so they wouldn't fall out from under me. "What I want...more than anything...is to sail the world. To have adventures. To help you...the man I l..love...become the king of the pirates..."

When Kid inhaled, it felt like all the air around me had been sucked away, suffocating me with its absence. Each one of his features twitched, his arms moving to fold tightly over his chest, and he clicked his cupids together in what I hoped was thought, not fury.

"Love? Neither of us know what the fuck that kind of love is. Why the fuck would you say something so stupid?" Kid sneered, but I was paying close attention. To the was his jaw clenched, to the rolling bob of his throat, and the light sheen of swear that had broken out on his brow.

"Alright, then why did you kiss me that night? You all but confessed you feel the same way, so are you trying to tell me that was a lie? Were you just trying to get into my pants?" I grilled him, taking another step forward, which he countered by a single pace of retreat.

"Tch...Sure. Yeah. Ya caught me red handed. You're the only option while out at sea, so you can't blame me for wantin' to wet my cock..." Kid tried his best to smirk in the cocky manner he usually did, but he'd lost the ability to. It was wonky, and oh so telling.

Another step, and another retreat.
"Then why didn't you? I was right there, and if you'd actually made a move I probably would have accepted without a second thought." He couldn't fool me any longer. He and I were cut from the same cloth in that regard. Now that I knew my own feelings, his were obvious.