CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: Back-Up

"Get your hands...off my girl..."

I had heard Kid angry before. Furious. Deathly, so. But this time, however, his voice was dripping with a venom that no great doctor or scientist could ever hope to combat. His tone was so low, so blood-curdlingly vicious, that even I felt my veins turn to ice.

Despite his wide grin, Livewire's body was tense against mine, so I could tell that he at least felt a little threatened by Kid.
"Or what? The second you sorry lot made a deal with us you became our property! She doesn't belong to you anymore, Eustass. I can play with her all I want."

I kept my eyes on Kid, even as the scoundrel caressed my face, blurred red creeping into view within my peripherals as blood dripped down from my impaled wrist. There was a wild intensity in his glare, split halfway down the middle. Untamed rage towards our enemy, and what seemed to be genuine concern for me.

Your girl..? Normally I'd be going crazy over that, but I can hardly think straight right now...

Extending his arm, fingers flexing in preparation, Kid replanted his feet on the floor.
"Attract!" He shouted, the air around us crackling with a different kind of static than the bastard who had me pinned had created.

Nothing happened.

The red-head looked confused for all but a moment before Livewire began to laugh, again swinging out from my body, like he was having the time of his life.
"Aw, what's wrong, Eustass, buddy?! Wondering why you couldn't rip me away from my toy?!" He cackled, reaching to flick his fingers against the length of his spear. "I only use the finest copper! Nothing magnetic here, man!"

Shit...He's really a lot smarter than I gave him credit for...

Copper could only be considered magnetic when it was introduced to insanely strong magnetic fields. Whilst Kid was indeed strong, his ability wasn't enough yet. Not only that, but copper was one hell of a conductor. Kid's power could actually increase that, if he wasn't careful.

Shaking himself out of his initial puzzlement, Kid began to drag more metal from the surrounding debris, forming a weapon that likely wouldn't do much good.
"Quit your big talkin' and come fight me, you bastard! I'm waiting!"

The invitation seemed to steal Livewire's attention fully, and with a harsh yank, he pulled his spear out from my wrist and jumped down to fight, leaving me to fall to the ground.

The significant fall wasn't at all helpful to my bruised and battered state, and my head throbbed as I recollected myself, climbing to my feet and trying to shake the after-shocks out of my system.

"M..Miss..? You're bleeding..." Hearing that meek voice from somewhere behind me nearly scared me half to death at first, but when I turned my head, my relief was tainted with pity.

There were two terrified looking women, one equally as scared man, and a young boy, likely no older than five years old. He had been the one to address me.
"I'm...fine..." I lied, almost losing my balance as I crouched to his level. The last thing I wanted to do was frighten him more. "You guys should make a break for it. See that big, scary red-head over there?"

My big, scary red-headed bastard.

"That's my friend. He and all our other friends are gonna get rid of these awful people. Then they can't hurt you anymore, or send you away." I knew for a fact that Kid likely didn't give two shits about anybody else held within these four walls, but they didn't need to know that. For all they knew, we were the good guys.

"Y..You're kidding, right?" One of the women spoke up, voice crackling from lack of use. "Can't you see who's out there? They'll kill us..." I turned to try and get a better grasp of the situation and saw her point.