CHAPTER FORTY FOUR: Farewell, Water 7

My entire body hurt like crazy.

Sure, finally crossing the line and having sex with Eustass Kid was a dream come true, but the sheer size difference between us had come at a cost.

By the time we had woken up on Scrap Island, it was mid-morning, so we were now slowly making our way back to Galley-La Headquarters, my exhausted form hidden between Kid's coat and his warm, broad back.

"How you holdin' up?" He asked me quietly, his thumbs rubbing my legs where he held them so I wouldn't fall off.
"Mmm...Sore..." I admitted, squishing my cheek into his nape. "You're too damn big for your own good..."

Bumping his head back into the top of mine, Kid uttered a small laugh, continuing to follow the path of the canals.
"All the more reason to do that more often, so you get used to it."

Rest in peace, cervix.

I was about to complain, or suggest that maybe we could find a workaround so I wouldn't end up out of commission every time, when something screeched to a halt beside us in the water, splashing Kid up to the hip.

It was Titus, and on the boat upon his back sat Killer, frantically waving for us to climb aboard.
"Where the hell have you two been?! We need to go, now! Shit hit the fan!"

Without hesitation, Kid climbed aboard and set me down beside him in the back of the Yagara boat. Killer wasted no time in directing Titus to start off again, and we began zooming down the canals.

"Alright, what's the run down?" The redhead asked, still keeping one side of his coat around me. Killer didn't turn to look at us, and I couldn't blame him. He wasn't stupid. Why else would Kid and I have been unaccounted for last night?

"Ship's ready, but (Y/N)'s parents have pulled out all the stops to try and find her. Apparently that bastard you had dinner with the other night suddenly remembered your face. The Navy is enroute. If we don't get out of here now it's gonna be a shit show."

I knew it was only a matter of time before Timbley recognised me!

Wriggling out from the protection of Kid's coat, I shifted up closer to Killer.
"Wait, so we have to leave?! Right now?! I can't even say goodbye to anyone?!" I began to panic at the thought. There was no way I'd be able to tear myself away from my brother without having the chance to speak to him.

"We have to leave, but they're all waiting for us down at the port. Some people called the Franky Family are trying to keep your parents and that Marine family distracted while we make our getaway." Killer explained, leaning along with the boat as we rounded a corner.

I caught myself on his shoulder as I sighed in relief. At least I wouldn't have to skip town without saying my farewells.
"Sorry, guys...I cause a lot of trouble, huh?" I apologised, feeling bad for all of my family drama.

"You think we ain't used to trouble?" Kid scoffed, pulling me back down to sit as his side. "This is nothin'." I knew he was right, but it was still a pain. I had wanted to stay in Water 7 just a little longer.

It didn't take us long to reach the dock, and once I was out of the boat I turned to give Titus a hug around the neck, feeling him nibble at my hair.
"You be good, buddy! I'll miss you!"

Titus nickered and nuzzled at me before zipping off, likely back to the Yagura stables, and I hurried to find Paulie in the busy mass of people. It seemed like many of the Galley-La workers had come to bring the ship and see us off.

The Victoria Punk herself looked as good as new, large and mighty upon the water. There were new cannon holes lining her sides, and steel reinforcements on the masts. I was sure there was plenty more internal and structural work I couldn't see at first glance, too.