CHAPTER SIXTY THREE: Something Stupid

"THIS IS THE SIXTH DAY IN A ROW YOU'VE MANAGED TO CAUSE MAYHEM! HOW CAN SOMEBODY SO SMALL MAKE SO MUCH TROUBLE?! PLEASE, ENLIGHTEN ME, I'D LOVE TO KNOW!"

I just sat there, drumming my fingers on my lap as Paulie chewed me out for the sixth consecutive evening in a row. The whole tavern was staring at us, but it didn't phase me. I was used to Paulie losing his marbles.

"In my defence, I wasn't the one who placed a baby as a bet. That was Michael and Hoichael." I stated firmly, causally leaning away from Paulie as he started up again, avoiding his spittle.
"THEY'RE THIRTEEN YEAR OLD CHILDREN! YOU'RE AN ADULT!"

"Paulie, honey, calm down. You're making a scene." Guppy, who I had only met two days ago and was already head over heels for, gently tugged on my brother's arm to get him to sit back down. "She obviously wasn't going to keep the baby, so cut her some slack."

I like her. She's gonna make the best Paulie Tamer, I mean, sister in law ever.

"If I cut her some slack she's gonna end up burning the whole city to the ground..." Paulie muttered bitterly, crossing his arms across his chest in a huff. "So, you're heading off tomorrow, Kip? Got everything ready?"

I deflated when Paulie mentioned Killer's departure. A week had flown by far too quickly, and I wasn't ready to say goodbye. He'd been doing well at Galley-La, under the alias 'Kipper', which had honestly been the cause of me nearly wetting myself in laughter.

He had been a saint, working with Paulie, insisting on making at least breakfast for myself, Iceberg and sometimes Paulie, even trying to keep me in line. Adjusting was going to be a battle with him gone.

"Pretty much. Just need to grab some supplies and I'm set." Killer responded, taking a sip of his beer, and I copied him. I'd limited myself to one, maybe two for the night, so I just nursed it, mostly.
"It's such a shame to see you go. You fit in well here." Guppy said with a sigh, and I silently agreed. She knew his real identity, but didn't seem to mind one bit, thankfully.

"It's not half bad, but I have to get back. Can't hide out forever when I have responsibilities." I listened, watching Paulie steal one of my fries, our eyes meeting as he popped it into his mouth. We knew each other well, so he could tell something was off.

"Quit being quiet. It's weird." He addressed me, and I rolled my eyes, wishing he'd been a little more subtle.
"First you tell me to shut up, then you tell me to un-shut up. Careful with this one, Gups. He doesn't know what he wants." I whisper shouted to his girlfriend, but she held him back from snapping at me again.

"I'm sorry, but I did say only one week. Honestly, I should've gone back days ago, but I didn't want to leave you alone so soon." Killer leaned towards me a little, his voice hushed while the others spoke.
"Hmm? Oh, nah, I know that. I'm just tired from beating so many pipsqueaks at cards." I lied through my teeth, not wanting to guilt him any further than I already had.

"Since Iceberg's out visiting Granny Kokoro at the station, maybe you should come stay at my place for the night, (Y/N)?" Paulie brought me back into their conversation and I waved him off.
"Nah, I'd rather not. You two need to make me some nieces and nephews anyway, so I wouldn't wanna intrude."

Both Guppy and I snickered when my brother's face turned a vibrant shade of red, and even my stoic companion's shoulders bounced at the poor guy's expense.

"U..Um...(Y/N)..?"

I barely glanced to the side at first, but the second I realised who was speaking to me I scrambled like a spooked cat, my back quickly up against Killer's side. It was Timbley.
"Oh, for fuck's sake...Listen, man, I'm sorry for last time, but I swear, I'm a changed woman, so there's no need to call the marines!"