CHAPTER SIXTY: Can I Be Honest?

***(Y/N) POV***

"Hey...come on, man...Don't cry. You're gonna set me off..."

I felt almost too tiny as Heat enveloped me, whimpering into my shoulder, nearly bent in half.
"B..But we'll miss you!" He wailed, and I held him tighter.

"It isn't forever, I promise...I just need to take a break..." Killer was making true of his promise, and was taking me back to Water 7. I wasn't able to function within the crew right now, that much had been proven, so it was definitely for the best. "Could you do me a favour? Look after Missy for me?"

Heat nodded as he pulled back, a punkish, blubbering mess, and Wire sidled up to us, patting his friend's shoulder with one hand, the other settling atop my head.
"Keep in contact, okay? Don't get into trouble, and don't stay away too long, got it?"

"Yes, Mum." I half chuckled, though I was nearing tears myself. I didn't want to leave them, but I had to. Whilst Water 7 had stifled me, it was still my safe space. Rather, certain people were.

"Alright, you ready?" Killer came from down the hill, where he had been preparing a smaller ship for us to travel on. Of course, we couldn't take the Victoria Punk, but the one we had scrounged up would do well enough.

"Almost. There's one more thing." Holding up a hand in wait, I moved past our crew members, back into the castle. With everybody outside, the halls were cold, and empty. I could relate to that. That was how I had been feeling, the past few weeks.

Down the stairs, darkness shrouding me, I stopped at the door to the workshop and listened. Slight, muffled sounds came from within, so I knew Kid was there, but I didn't dare knock.

"I..." My words threatened to die on my tongue, but I persevered, swallowing so I could force them out. "...I'm leaving for a while. Don't know how long, but I just need t..to go. I thought I should let you know, I guess...since you're my captain, and all..."

I was met by silence, as expected. No tinkering, no shuffling. Just cold, dead silence. I shifted on my feet, staring at the slight luminance coming from the crack beneath the door.

Did you even really care at all..?

"Th..There's so much I wanna say to you, but right now...I think it might kill me...so just...get back on your damn feet already, you dumb bastard. Quit dragging everyone down with you..."

I turned tail and left immediately, not wanting to risk him opening the door. Seeing him face to face right now would only make everything a thousand times worse.

Maybe this all was for the best...

"Okay, let's go..." I brushed Killer's shoulder as I passed him, making my way down to the small dock. The Victoria Punk dwarfed our little vessel, but it would be home until we reached our destination.

Saying our final goodbyes was harder than I expected. I knew it wasn't permanent, but in the pirate world nobody could ever know for sure. Head pats, fist bumps, wobbling lips and stiff jaws, I held strong as I allowed Killer to help me onto the quaint ship and pull up the anchor.

"Call as soon as you get there, or I'll fight ya!" Haikei called out, hands cupped around his mouth as we began to drift off. I could only nod, knowing that any spoken words would send me into tears.

The Kid Pirates were soon out of sight as we curved around the coast of the small island, course set for home, and I watched it pass us by, heart heavy. That was, until I saw it.

Obscured by overgrown leaves and heavy shadows, a patch of red, and a faint glint of sunlight off glass. I met Kid's eyes, and time seemed to stand still, yet pass by so incredibly quickly at the same moment.