CHAPTER FIFTY SIX: Done

Five days passed, and I still hadn't been able to see Kid.

He was stable, and conscious, from what Wire had told me, but apparently he didn't want to speak to anybody. The term 'fragile state' wasn't used explicitly, but it was obvious that it was the case.

So I became rather excited when he sent for Killer, because it meant I would be able to see him soon enough. Out on the deck, I sat shoulder to elbow with Heat, watching the tattooed man carefully clip Missy's claws.

I'd been clingy with everyone over the past few days, just tailing along like a lost puppy. It wasn't like it was uncommon in itself, but my silence was what seemed to be weirding people out.
"Hey, don't worry. I'm sure he'll be asking for you once he's finished talking to Killer."

I glanced up to see Heat offering me a small smile, and I did my best to reciprocate, reaching to push Missy's tongue back into her mouth as she laid limp in the man's lap.
"Yeah, I know...I'm just antsy, I guess. Still sore, too..." I tried not to complain so much, considering I hadn't had it nearly as bad as some of the guys.

"You pinballed down a sixty foot drop. Of course you're sore." Heat returned to clipping the feline's claws, though he made sure he kept his elbow to my shoulder. I appreciated the contact. It was keeping me from going insane.

"It shouldn't take too long until we're back to base. Just think of the beds! Better than what we have on Vicky!" Haikei sighed almost dreamily, sprawling out further where he was laying on the ground.

"Not to mention fresh meat. Some protein will do us all some good." Wire added, tapping his fingers against the ships railing. He had given the pair some privacy, and I think it was doing him some good, taking a break from playing doctor.

I was about to make some dumb comment about eating a whole stag to myself when the sudden sound of shouting arose from the infirmary.

I couldn't make out what exactly was being said, but I knew the voice. It was Killer, and he sounded beyond pissed off. No, it was more than that. Infuriated.

What the hell is going on..?

Everyone who was up on deck was staring up at the risen balcony, at the infirmary door, silent and waiting. They all seemed just as startled as I did, which didn't make my uneasy feeling any better.

It went on for a while, until finally the door burst open, and Killer stormed out, slamming it behind him with a force that could have easily splintered the frame. I was on my feet in a second flat, starting towards where he had come from.

I did want to speak to Killer, and ask him what had him so upset, but my need to see Kid was greater than that at this point. It had been too long. I passed him on the stairs, but before I could get any further, his hand flew out and seized my wrist.

He had patched his helmet up as best he could, and was wearing it once more, so I couldn't see his face, but I didn't need to. The too-tight grip of his hand was telling me everything I needed to know.
"Do not go in there right now, (Y/N). I mean it."

But...

His tone was dark, and it certainly rattled me. Looking between the holes of his helm and my wrist, I chewed on the inside of my cheek.
"I...I need to see hi-"

I stumbled a little, having to catch myself on the railing when he basically threw my arm back at me, continuing his aggressive march down the stairs.
"Fine, do whatever the hell you want! It's not like anybody fuckin' listens to me anyway!"

It hurt me, having him speak to me like that, but I tried not to take it too much to heart. He was upset, and he was always so calm and collected. He had every right to snap every once in a while. The only issue was what exactly had been said in there to make him react like that?