CHAPTER FORTY TWO: Know

"Killer, I'm so bored. I might just bust a nut if I don't get out of here."

Killer looked up from the book he was reading, closing it over his index finger so he wouldn't lose his place.
"I don't think you understand what you just said."

Approaching the couch, I continued to walk into the arm, letting myself flop over so my face fell into his thigh.
"Believe me. I do." I sighed, adjusting myself so I was looking up at him, head in his denim-clad lap. "I'm like a wild animal, Killer. I can't be caged like this."

I could almost hear the roll of the man's eyes as he discarded his book, slinging one arm over the back of the couch as his head tilted down.
"Go hang out with Heat. God knows he missed you." He suggested, but I shook my head.

"He's taking a nap. Wire's checking on how the Galley-La guys are going with the ship, Boogie and Bubblegum are out in town trying to get laid, UK, Mosh and Jaguar are hogging Tyrannosaurus, and everyone else is busy, too..." I listed off the rest of the crew, kicking my legs that hung over the arm of the couch.

Humming, Killer moved his hand to carefully brush a stray stand of hair out of my face, quickly pulling it back to rest on his own stomach.
"What about Kid? You usually jump at the chance to bother him." He questioned, his abdomen tensing when I smooshed my face into it.

"Dunno where he is. You're not doing much, so why can't you come cause trouble with me?" Even if I had known where Kid was, I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to be alone with him. Things were up in the air, and I didn't want to make a greater fool of myself if he had just been messing with me.

"Since when have you known me to be a troublemaker, girl?" Killer scoffed lightly, the leg I wasn't using as a headrest bouncing a little. "Besides, I was reading."

Rolling my face back out of his stomach, I tilted my head all the way back to try and get a look at the book he had put down.
"What were you reading? Anything interesting?" I queried, thankful that he picked up to show me so I wouldn't snap my neck. "The Complete History of Water 7, Volume three. Sounds boring. Ransacking Iceberg's underwear drawer sounds way more entertaining."

Even though I've already done that. Twice.

I jostled along with Killer's shoulders when he laughed silently,
"Hey...why don't you ever laugh out loud?" He stopped the moment I asked, and I worried I may have crossed a line.

"My laugh is...not something you wanna hear. Trust me..." Killer murmured, setting the book back down where he had picked it up from.
"Try me." I challenged him boldly, feeling the hand he had previously held the book in tussle the ends of my hair.

"When I was younger, people thought I sounded like an absolute joke. Not that I really give much of a shit what people think of me...but it wore me down after a while. It's just a personal choice." He explained softly, and I frowned.

"I'll kick the ass of anyone who's ever laughed at you. I mean it." I insisted, and I felt him jostle again, his other arm moving to lay over me, careful not to push down against my chest.

"You sound an awful lot like a scrappy little shit I know..." He sighed fondly, fingers moving higher up through my hair before pausing. "You really should try to talk to Kid. Not taunt, or bicker, but actually talk..."

You keep bringing him up...

Pouting, I craned my neck a little more, managing to see just a little extra of his fuzz-covered chin beneath his helmet.
"Uh, have you even met the guy? It's like trying to have a conversation with a rabid baby bananagator. Besides, what would we even talk about? Scrap metal? The weather?"