CHAPTER EIGHT: Snipe

"Remind me...how hasn't he killed her yet..?"

Killer sighed and turned from Reck to catch me once again biting and ripping at the hem of Kid's coat, initiating an aggressive tug-of-war. It was causing my jaw to constantly ache, but if Kid wanted a dog, I'd damn well give him one.
"Wish I knew, man."

The moment Kid went to strike me, I backed off, tumbling back a little when I released his coat.
"I'll fucking spay you right here right now, you bitch!" He snapped, shortening my leash in warning. I just tilted my head, acting as though there was nothing behind my eyes.

What's wrong, Kiddo? Wish you got a cat instead?

For the past three days I had tried to counter each and every sadistic thing he had done to me. He made me drink out of a bowl on the floor? I chewed up his collection of wanted posters. He yanked my chain? I crawled around his legs and tripped him up. He dragged me into the bathroom with him? I may have gone through with pissing in his boots, but he had no proof.

"Okay, time for doggy daycare." Killer stepped in and grabbed the leash from Kid's hand, and surprisingly the captain didn't protest. "Oi, Papas, you take her for a bit." He called for one of the other crew members, a hooded man with a mildly pointy nose, and I was handed over.

Killer could obviously sense how close Kid was to murdering me dead, and I appreciated the effort to save my hide. Keeping up the puppy-dog act was exhausting, not to mention painful, but I was determined to fight the punky pirate in any way that I could.

"Oi..." Papas whispered to me as he walked me over to the edge of the deck, giving me the first slack of chain I had had in days. "...Did you really piss in his boots..?" Glancing to make sure Kid was preoccupied, I nodded once, openly smirking at my own confession.

The hooded man covered his mouth to hide his snort, his other hand coming down to ruffle my greasy, unwashed hair.
"You're a brave one, you are, Sneaky! Anyone else'd be dead!" I didn't quite like how he petted me like an animal, but at least he was being nice to me.

It didn't last long, though. Papas had his own jobs to do, so instead of being palmed off to another crew member, my chain was tied to the railing of the ship.

The day was overcast, dank and dreary, mist thick in the air as we sailed along. When nobody had been looking I had climbed up onto a nearby crate so I could at least be off the ground. My knees were scraped and bruised, and my palms had deep indentations. I needed a break.

I hope Kid never had an actual pet...He's a horrible owner...

Starfished over my crate, I watched the Kid Pirates do their thing. The typical chores, like swabbing the deck and checking the rigging lines, and the other crap they got up to when their main tasks were done. Games of cards, light conversations, the occasional man catching some shut-eye. They seemed relatively chilled out for a bunch of degenerates.

Casting my gaze out towards the ocean, I heaved a sigh. Had I made a mistake by leaving Water 7 to become nothing more than a petty thief? Becoming a shipwright hadn't been in the cards, seeing as I wasn't physically strong enough to lug around the materials, and nothing else had interested me.

My mother had always expected me to marry a man and become a housewife, which had irked me greatly. The world was a shitshow, why would I have wanted to bring kids into it? Why did I need to marry someone at all?

Paulie hadn't been fond of the idea, either, simply because it involved me getting married. Even during my childhood, he always tried to chase away my male friends, insisting they were getting too close. He had meant well, I knew that, but it had been smothering me.