CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN: Bad For Me, Worse For You

***KILLER POV***

"Has he eaten?"

I leaned my hip against the counter, watching Pomp place another newly cleaned dish into the rack before he turned around on the stool he was balanced on.
"Well, we left breakfast for him, like you asked, and the plate isn't in the hall anymore, so I'd take that as a win?"

I nodded once in agreement, folding my arms and drumming my fingers against my bicep. Usually, I was the one to serve food to each and every crew member, but I just couldn't deal with Kid right now. It was immature, but I could only cope with so much.

"Yeah, guess so. What about (Y/N)?" I saw the stocky man pause when hearing her name, so I already knew the answer.
"She picked at it, but pretty sure she gave the most of it to that naked blob she carts around. The only thing I've seen her consistently send down her gullet is booze lately..."

I'm too young to be taking care of people like this...

It had been two weeks since Kid had spoken to each of us in turn, and whilst I hadn't spoken to him, I had tried to be there for (Y/N) in ways I deemed appropriate for the situation.

Urging her to eat, asking our crew mates to ask to hear stories about her thieving escapades, returning her gurgling testicle-cat to her whenever I found it somewhat existing around the ship or base.

"Know where she is?" I asked Pomp, trying not to sound as worried as I really was.
"Last I saw her, she was wandering down to the Victoria. Probably climbed the crow's nest." He shrugged, and I set off in search for her. The last thing anybody needed was for her to fall to her death while drinking up there.

I could understand why she was acting out like that, and usually I wasn't one to refuse a person their choice of coping mechanism, but when it came with a risk, I wasn't going to just sit by.

Kid had hurt her. I knew what that felt like, though to a lesser, far different degree. He'd said some pretty messed up things to me too, that day, so I could only imagine what she was going through. However, he had made it increasingly more difficult to be there for her.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
***2 WEEKS PRIOR***

"You still have a thing for (Y/N), right?"

My brow furrowed as I looked down at Kid, having taken my helmet off in his presence. He looked colder, somehow. Not himself.
"I...wouldn't refer to it as a thing. Why? What's that got to do with anything?"

As Kid shifted, he rolled his shoulders, bringing unintentional attention to his amputation, wrapped in gauze and bandage.
"She's yours. I don't want her anymore."

What..?

My eyes narrowed, the words registering in my head. What was he on about? Had Wire given him the kind of pain meds that made him go loopy?
"Oi, listen to what you're sayin'. You're delusional." I scoffed, but felt more uneasy the longer he stared at me.

"I mean it. I'm sick of 'er, and you seem to genuinely give a fuck about 'er, so she's yours. What, not interested anymore?" I couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth. I knew when Kid was joking around, and this wasn't one of those times.

"S..Sick of her..? Kid, that's bullshit and you know it. Is this because of what happened? Do you really think throwing a tantrum and severing the relationship will help any?" He'd always been difficult, but whenever his pride had been hurt, it was always impossible to deal with. This had been the biggest strike to his pride thus far.

Rolling his eyes, Kid sat up a little more in the bed, still obviously in pain but not willing to announce it.
"This ain't a tantrum. I've had time to rethink shit, and I've sorted out my priorities. Sex and romantic crap doesn't fit in with my plans. I've always said you two were a better fit, anyway, so have at it."