CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE: Off The Record

"If any more Navy ships come after us, just throw me into the drink..."

Groaning, I hung limp over the ship's railing, my limbs like melted jelly. It had been a rough twenty four hours, to put it lightly. The Marines were in the middle of relocating, so there had been a ridiculous amount of them, fleet after fleet. Food and sleep felt like a distant memory.

"Careful. You'll end up slipping overboard." Killer sighed from behind me, though his voice did little to hide his own exhaustion.
"Good. I can sleep with the fishes. Sounds comfortable..."

I didn't bother fighting Killer when he dragged me up and over his shoulder like a sack of sweaty potatoes, being careful of his hands so that they weren't touching any part of me that could be deemed as inappropriate.

"We'll be fine for a little while. You should get yourself cleaned up, and consider a nap. Won't be too long until we can find somewhere to stop and restock supplies." He started to carry me off towards the bathroom, and I buried myself in the flow of golden hair streaming from the back end of his helmet.

"I'm just gonna nap right here. G'night..." I yawned, closing my eyes and going completely slack. I was mostly just messing around, but if he let me stay over his shoulder I would have had no complaints.

"It's the middle of the night, so you're gonna do more than nap. You're hell to deal with when you're overtired, just like a certain captain I know." Killer mumbled, making sure said captain heard him as he carried me past.

Kid was leaning against the wall, nose scrunched and eyes set in a nasty glare, which didnt pair well with the heavy bags beneath them.
"Oi, fuck off. I don't get overtired." He lied, the exhaustion in his voice thick.

Killer paused for a few moments before turning back around, effortlessly moving me from his shoulder to Kid's arms, much to my dismay.
"Yes, you do. Go get some sleep, both of you. Me and a few of the others will keep watch and call on you if we have any more trouble."

I wanted to voice my complaints, but my body reacted to being settled in Kid's arms. My skin tingled, and my pulse skipped a little too frantically for my liking.
"Ugh...Yes, Mother..." The redhead rolled his eyes, unphased when Killer thumped him in the arm, just above my head.

He kind of is like his mother...Kinda...

Without saying anything further, Kid hoisted me over his shoulder, just like his companion had done, and I groaned, flopping limp.
"For the record, I don't quite appreciate being manhandled like a sack of turnips." I stated, chewing on the inside of my cheek as his hand slotted in just beneath the curve of my ass.

"Don't care." Wow, Kid really must have been tired if he didn't want to banter with me. I couldn't blame him, though. The Navy had been relentless, and now the Victoria Punk was in desperate need of some professional repairs. Galley La would have their work cut out for them.

"Wait." I tapped on his back to get him to stop, spying my precious clump of feline skin cleaning himself at the doorway into the hull. "I must collect my child."

Completely ignoring me, Kid continued on, passing the cock-eyed cat and heading down towards our quarters. I sadly reached out for my pet, meeting one of his eyes and mouthing my apologies before we lost sight of one another.

"You weren't half bad today." Kid started, the clunk of his boots echoing through the empty hall. "Don't think it's over, though. Pretty soon every Marine, bounty hunter and pirate'll be after us."

I liked how he didn't just make it about himself and his own notoriety. As cocky and selfish as the man could often be, he valued the lot of us, and gave credit where it was due.
"Let them try. I'll shoot 'em right in the nips." I lazily blasted off some finger guns, feeling his shoulders bounce beneath me.