CHAPTER FIFTY TWO: A Day Out

"No."

"Excuse me? You can't tell me what to do. You're not my dad." I narrowed my eyes as I looked down at Kid, watching him glance between my face and where his fifth limb disappeared between my legs.
"I'd fuckin' hope not."

Rolling my eyes at his crude jest, I climbed off of him, completely ignoring his grunt of complaint.
"You know I'd have the best chance of getting close and bringing their guards down. They've seen your faces plastered all over the New World. Mine is concealed on my wanted posters."

Kid tried to pull me back into his body, but I was a slippery little thing, easily wriggling out of his old to hunt down my underwear, which he had haphazardly thrown somewhere across the room.
"Chance or not, I'm not havin' you go in like that again. Not after last time. No way, no how."

I thought back to what had happened on that island, and the memories that still somewhat plagued me, but I quickly shook when out of my head, kicking my partner's coat out of the way and finding my knickers.

"Then what do you suppose we do? I'd love to hear it if you have a better plan." I watched from the corner of my eye as Kid climbed out of bed, still standing to attention and uncaring of his full exposure, quite like me.

"We storm in, like we always do. I want you at a safe distance." I knew he was only trying to look out for me, but it was frustrating.
"What, because I'm-"
"Cuz you're a fuckin' sniper. Don't go pullin' the gender card. It won't work."

Ugh, screw your logic.

Throwing on one of the few actual shirts he owned, along with my pants, I moved to the mirror, beginning to fix my hair so it wouldn't look like I had just rolled out of bed in the middle of sex.

"I'm your captain, not just your partner. You can't go against my plan." Kid continued, not bothering to get himself dressed.
"Don't go pullin' the captain card." I retorted, even though I knew he was right. "I've had parts of you in my mouth that aren't made to be tasted, so we're pretty far past that."

The red-head growled in complaint, but quit while he was somewhat ahead, plonking himself back down on the end of the mattress, amidst the screwed up sheets.
"Red-Hair ain't someone you can dupe. I know you're good at what you do, but so are we, so can you just have a bit of damn faith in us?"

I did have faith in them. I never questioned their ability to get what needed to be done done, but this was an Emperor we were talking about. Still, I had less experience than they did, so I knew that no matter how badly I wanted to execute my own part of the plan, I had to do what I was instructed.

"Y'know, if I'd met you in a bar, I would've robbed you blind. You know that, right?" I turned around and smirked, receiving one right back.
"Oh, I know. Wouldn't've seen it comin'." Seemingly over the fact that I had left him high and dry, Kid welcomed the kiss I offered. "Hmmm..."

"What?" I questioned his thoughtful hum, tilting my head as I went to continue getting ready.
"Nothin', just wondering what I'll buy for you once I take that cocky red-haired fucker down."

It took a lot to point out that he was also a cocky red-haired fucker, but I managed to stop myself, picking up my hat and fluffing out the feather.
"Hmmm, how about the rest of Mihawk to go with this?" I joked, enjoying the way his painted lips puckered into a pout. "I'm kidding! I've got everything I want, but maybe a tip for Galley-La would be nice? You have to admit, they did Victoria justice."

Kid flopped backwards onto the bed, stretching out so his bones clicked into place.
"Yeah, guess they did. Well, I'm gonna take a nap if you're actually going through with abandoning our fun..."