34

Kabanata 34: A Distressed Love Affair

"DAD!"

I bit my lip so hard as I run to keep up with him. Nagmamadali akong pumasok sa may reception area and my whole world seemed to stop when I saw my Dad firing the bullet straight to the chest of Tito Enzo.

"T-Tatay. Tatay?"

Tears started streaming down my face when I saw my girl crying while holding Tito on her lap. It was such a devastating moment specially when Mama went to Dad and slapped him on his face as he continue to beg for forgiveness.

"SORRY?! MAY MAGAGAWA BA YANG SORRY MO?!" Mama wiped her tears harshly.

"Alam mo bang ikaw pa rin sana ang pipiliin ko sa dulo? I know you need me so I tried to fix the mess that I started from years ago to make everything okay. Pero anong ginawa mo? Hindi mo ko hinintay! Nagpadala ka sa galit and now I couldn't think why I chose a murderer over a loving the man that I betrayed before."

Mama tried to slap him again but halted when she caught me staring at them. "H-Hanson..."

"I-I'm sorry Mama."

"I-It's not your fault. It's not."

I dodged her stares and fixed my eyes to Sunshine who also met my eyes. Something pierced inside my heart when she looked at me like she was begging for an answer but all I could mumble was sorry.

I wasn't able to join them to the hospital for I chose to be with the murderer to the prison. Pinakausap sa akin ni Dad ang attorney niya to handle the case and I gave him my advice.

"Wag niyong hahayaang makalabas ang Dad ko attorney. Please don't listen to his requests. I know that I should be the only one on his side pero gusto kong pagsisihan niya ang nagawa niyang kasalanan."

I cleared my throat and took a glance on Dad who was on the cold cell's ground while his arms are wrapped on his legs. He looks devastated pero pinigilan ko ang sarili kong maawa sa kanya.

"Kung kaya na makulong siya ng panghabang buhay, gawin niyo na." I smiled to attorney. "I just don't think that I could still live and breathe the same air with him. Baka gugustuhin ko nalang mamatay kapag nakalabas pa siya ng kulungan."

"Noted Sir."

I nodded before I started walking palabas ng station but I halted when I heard Dad's voice was calling out for me. He sounded like he badly needs me to listen so I took my last glimpse to him as he start to mumble words that I could read.

"I'm sorry for being your Dad, Hanson."

I smiled before I went straight to my car. I started the engine and was about to drive home but my eyes began to feel heavy with tears again.

An apology is a powerful weapon that is used to bring back relationships and mend the heartaches. But it is powerless if used for the memories that was supposed to happen and the lives that has been stolen.

I'm sorry Dad but I have to do this for your sake. For Tito, for Mama and for Sunshine's sake.

"A-Ano nang gagawin ko ngayon?"

I bit my lip and buried my face on the steering wheel. Wala na akong mukhang maihaharap sa ibang tao. But a call stopped my tears, answered my silent prayer and gave me another light of hope.