CHAPTER TWO

PILOT;
part two

THE TRIO WERE ALL STANDING impatiently on the H.M.S Pogue as Pope debated whether or not to jump into the small boat with the other boys from their group or to stay on the dock with the hose to help his dad.

"Get in the boat," John B whispered from behind the wheel.

"Make a run for it, bro. Make a run for it," JJ convinced whilst Pope dropped the hose on the dirtied wood, bounding down towards the metal boat with a trembling hand on his hat.

"I'll be back later, sir!" Atticus shouted out with his hands cupped around his mouth, pressing his back against the side of the boat as he smiled up to the older man.

"Like hell you will. Go enjoy yourself doin' whatever the hell you do- Hey! Boy, if you get in that boat-" Heyward yelled, his glove-clad hands gripping tightly onto one of the metal rails.

"Go, go, go," Pope whisper-shouted as soon as his feet hit the cold floor of the H.M.S, whacking the railing by John B's hands with the heel of his palm.

"Bring your ass back up here," Heyward demanded angrily.

"I promise I'll do it tomorrow, dad!" Pope defended. However, everyone's attention was removed from the entertaining family fight once they heard the sound of a jet-ski travelling down the river. Typical kooks didn't travel through the cut - but the special ones did.

"Here comes Renna," JJ whistled as the girl drove around the bend, waving to someone random on one of the wooden, trashed docks. The pink and black paint contrasted deeply against the oceanic blue of the water beneath her as it sprayed up behind the speeding teen. She was the only person who ever dared to drive a jet-ski through the cut, especially one of its distinct.

Her eyes caught onto that of the H.M.S Pogue, gazing over all of the boys before landing on one in particular.

"It's too early for this shit," Heyward mumbled before turning away from the friends on the floating vehicles, walking back towards the front of his shop with an irritated frown.

"Hey, Heyward!" She called out after noticing his retreating figure. He threw an arm out in acknowledgement, waving it briefly in the air, before letting it fall back to his side with a huff.

"Showing off your money?" John B joked as her jet-ski approached the four boys on the boat. They all knew she only brought it to share around. She hated keeping all her money and other privileges to herself, so to give it to her friends who didn't have the same entitlements as she did made her heart jump. And also, it gave them more room on the Routledge boat.

"You know it," she teased with a smirk as her water vehicle slowly floated closer to them - almost too close. Pope knew what she was going to do, and she knew that he knew, but she chose to ignore his threatening glower as she harshly tilted the handles to the side, sending the jet-ski roughly spinning in the opposite direction. The turn caused a huge spray of water to splash all of the occupants on the boat, the four boys retreating with a groan.

"Ren, you serious?" JJ whined as he wiped his eyes dry, looking down at his drenched clothes from his position at the tip of the boat. As everyone was distracted with trying to wipe themselves clean, Atticus sneakily gestured to the back of the boat with a wink, leading to the girl's smirk as she slowly backed the jet-ski towards where he was pointing. She helped the boy clamber onto the back of the jet-ski whilst the others squeezed the access water out of their shirts and pants.

"Thanks, darling," Atticus murmured as he snaked his arms around her waist to hold on. Like always, she felt the eruption of butterflies in the pit of her stomach as his hands locked around her abdomen, resting around her bare skin as she let out a grateful sigh. The pair quietly laughed as Renna drove away, returning to float beside the blue boat of John B's with knowing grins.

"Why is it always Atticus?" Pope pointed out as he crossed his arms, mockingly glaring at the blonde.

"Just gotta pick up your speed, Pope," she teased with a bright smile, leaning to the side to get closer to the boy.

"I'm gonna break that jet-ski one day," JJ mumbled with annoyance as he furrowed his brows at the boy behind the driver.

"I'll buy you one for Christmas," Renna promised.

"Christmas? That's ages away," he complained jokingly, his shoulders dropping with defeat.

"I'm gonna get you coal," Atticus budded in from behind the girl. JJ stuck the finger up at him as his face scrunched up into a scowl, Atticus merely laughing in response.

"Speed up. I wanna spray 'em," Atticus whispered after he'd slightly leant down beside Renna's ear. She nodded without turning back, her eyes lighting up at the enjoyment of annoying the other boys on the boat just for their entertainment.

"Hey! What are you saying?" Pope interrogated them worriedly, stepping forward as his eyes darted between the snickering pair. Renna didn't even spare the concerned boy a glance as she sped forward, turning the jet-ski in front of the boat as Atticus whipped around. JJ looked beyond confused.

With his tongue poking out and a makeshift L held before his forehead - one arm still tightly wrapped around Renna - he teased, "Later, losers."

JJ's eyes widened as the realisation dawned upon him, but before he could move, Renna had sped off again, spraying the blond boy directly in the face. He angrily ran a hand down his dripping face, swiping his soaked hair away from his skin as he heard John B fall against the wheel in hysterics behind him. Atticus shouted out with joy as the pair sped away from the boys on the boat, heading in the familiar direction of Kiara's backyard. They didn't know what would hit them - but when it would, it would hit them like a truck.